What's new
What's new

How to find info on old guns?

jwfilion

Aluminum
I have been having great difficulty finding info on some old guns. Where do you guys search for such things. I was given an old Winchester Model 64 (not the Cooey .22). It is a lever action marked .30 WCF with a pistol grip stock. It is almost identical to a Model 71 except the 71 has a plate on the receiver behind the loading gate. Numrich has very few parts and none of the ones I need. Winchester doesn't even want to acknowledge it's existence.How can you win!? All I want to know is if the stocks are interchangable, I think I can make the screws and such. Any ideas on finding such info?

The model 64 is an offshoot of the 1894/'94 model.The model 71 is an updated 1886/'86 model in 348 Win cal.Some guys will take a ragged out 71 and put a 45-70 (or other caliber ) barrel on it to make a more practical shooter out of it.
There probably isn't any part other than a screw or spring that interchanges between the 1886 series and the 1894 series of guns.
Unless you really want a project,you might be better off to sell it for parts as the parts for those older guns aren't cheap.
To find the parts,look on eBay,in the Shotgun News (less likely),or go get a copy of The Gun List (most likely place to find things).You'll find an ad in Gun List from Buckinghams in TN(amongst many others)he has parts for older lever actions but they aint cheap by a long ways.
Most of the parts for a model '94 will fit,including an originl pistol grip buttstock and the longer tang screw it uses.

With apoligies to the forum hosts,here are some of my favorite gun site for general information and technical info:
For Double Shotguns:http://www.gunshop.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi
For most other stuff:
http://pub145.ezboard.com/bthefirearmsforum
and
http://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?s=b2645b7eaa5c0ef334c7d822c0c2b3b1

There are about five billion gun sites out there dealing with every gun under the sun,you just have to find them!
Good luck,and if I can be of any more help,either post it here or my email address is in my profile if you want to talk off the forum.If you decide to sell it rather than fix it I may be interested as I don't have an example of a model 64 yet.
Robert.

Thank you kindly for your reply. The Model 64 was brought in for me to make "like new". I told the guy I could fix it up to hang on the wall but not to fire. He found it in the rafters of one of his fathers trappers cabins.Apparently these guns were popular in northern Canada years ago. The barrel and receiver were pitted with rust and had one of the loosest actions I've ever seen. The stock had fallen apart and was held together with tape. I'll see what I can find for it. If he decides to sell, I'll let you know.

I hope I'm not to late, Try "The Encyclopedia of Modern Firearms" It is available thru Brownells. It has exploded veiws of old weapons not found anywhere else.
Good Luck.

Back