What's new

semi 50 BMG

• Thread starter fausto
  • Start date
  • Replies 21
  • Views 3,718
F

fausto

Anibody now were to find information or a kit to build a semiauto 50BMG?
thanks to all.

Yep, I don't know the exact internet address but do a search for a outfit by the name of Hyperdelivery systems. They don't have kits but have some real kick butt plans, to include a semi- auto with a detachable box mag (4-5 rounds). I have been thinking about getting a set myself. I don't know of there reputation as far as bussiness goes though. Good luck keep me posted Bye Mike S.

thanks for the leed, so far all I have ben able to find are bolt action kits.
and yes I'll keep you posted.

Yep, Thats the people. Know anything about them? Sounds like a real neet group project! Bye Mike

Cant say, since I am only looking for a semiauto I really dont even pay that much atention sorry, but try a google search 50 BMG kit and see what comes up.

Anibody out there with a Barret M82A1?
Anibody that would not mind answering some cuestions about the action?
Thanks.

The M82A1 action is sort of neat in a way. it is a three lug bolt that is for the lack of a better word sort like recoil operated if I understand all the particulars about It. I have fired them several times Not unpleasant to shoot. BUT the barrel moves rearward during the recoil cycle, I think the accuracy suffers somewhat because of this. But I am not the design engineer on the thing. Mike

A post on the Home Gunsmithing Forum mentioned the HyperDel System semi-auto. The guy posting said that he had a discusion with the designer on the BiggerHammer forum just for 50 cal. It seems that even the designer HAS NOT ACTUALLY BUILT ONE. He just drew up some plans and started selling them. If this is indeed true, I think he is just asking for a lawsuit when one blows up.

A post on the Home Gunsmithing Forum mentioned the HyperDel System semi-auto. The guy posting said that he had a discusion with the designer on the BiggerHammer forum just for 50 cal. It seems that even the designer HAS NOT ACTUALLY BUILT ONE. He just drew up some plans and started selling them. If this is indeed true, I think he is just asking for a lawsuit when one blows up.

I put 50 rounds though an M82A1 yesterday at the range. Was sighting in a NightForce scope.

Not many big rocks left at the range.

Hey Fausto...
What do you wanto know about the action ?

The accuracy does somewhat suffer from the recoiling barrel. Sort of like a Browning A5 shotgun. The whole barrel moves to cycle the bolt. It wont hold a candle to the Maadi Griffen single shot that I built in the way of accuracy, but it is fun to shoot.

TooTall..

I dont think that the info you have is quite right. In the book of plans he talks somewhat of the little problems he's had and the adjustments he had to make. Sounds like he built one to me. Also, hes made a few upgrades on it. Its hard to upgrade what you havent built and tried out.

As far as blowing one up, if it happens it wont be because the action is too weak. That thing is way overkill on the bolt and the action.

BobB
Did you build the Maadi Griffen from a kit or just the plans? How difficult was it in your estimation? I looked at his a few years ago before he got zapped by the feds put didn't have the tools to do it then, plus had a house to build etc.. Now I have them and would like to build smething like it but I don't know where one can get plans anymore, or if not that I will design a scaled up Mauser. Still have to get my DShK 50 Russian built, but too darn hot to think in my shop. Course, thinking is not my long suit now days
smile.gif

Blair

The Barrett M82A1 action is not exactly designed for the best accuracy.The scope mount and sights are mounted on the receiver which is separate from the bolt carrier,locking bolt,barrel extension and barrel that move rearwards as a unit when a round is fired.The locking bolt unlocks after the bullet has left the barrel and the pressure has dropped,spent casing is extracted,firing mechanism cocked,loads new casing,bolt cams into locked position in the extension while moving forward and it is ready to fire again.

The Barrett M82A1 is more of a weapon against thin skinned vehicles ,a bolt gun 50 is needed for any long distance precision shooting IMO.

TooTall..
I read the link you provided.
My mistake,I thought you were talking about the Gunmetal Designs rifle plans.

bbemory,
I built the gun from scratch excpet for the M-2 barrel that a friend gave me. I also used a HK pistol grip and bought the recoil pad from Maddi-Griffen.

The gun was not that difficult to build. I would say that the hardest part was machining the inside recess in the reciever for the locking lugs which must be done on a mill with a dividing head. It's tedious and you cant really see what you are doing.
Other than that, the rest was pretty basic. I used a totally different trigger and handle assembly as I wasnt too impressed with the arrangment in the prints. I
think my design looks better but I'll let you be the judge...

http://community.webshots.com/user/bob102759

look in the .50 BMG section.

If you have acess to a lathe and a mill with a dividing head and you can tig or know someone that can, and you have average machining skills,you shouldnt have a problem building the Maddi. Just be sure to get the parts heat treated properly before you lay your face right on the action and pull the trigger.

Bob,

I'm no machinist (yet), but I like your work. Pardon my ignorance, but I would like to know what kind of metal did you use? And how much it cost you in materials?

The recoil pas was 12 bucks.
The pistol grip was 10.
The cost of heat treating was 25.
I already had the scope and the mounts.

The barrel along with the prints was given to me. The rest I made out of scrap laying around the shop. Most parts are made out of 4140.

I figure a guy might have around 250 bucks in the metal if he had to buy it. Plus the barrel would be anywhere from 250 to 500. Depending on the cost of heatreating the bolt and reciever along with the firing pin and various parts, one could do it for less than 1000 without any problem at all.

BobB,
Until you posted that link to show the stuff you have made, I didn't realize that you are Hotguns on the HGF.
Thats some nice stuff you have built! I built myself a one man hovercraft a while back, from plans (www.hovercraft.com), and just recently built a 12 foot trailer to haul it. I want to build a Newton-style reflector astronomy telescope one day, and of course a 50 BMG. So I guess the prefect weekend away is hauling my toys as far as I drive up a logging road, buzzing up a river, setting up a 1000 Metre range, and spotting the 50 cal hits with my own big honkin' telescope! Now I just gotta do it.

Back