What's new

Beating myself with a 77/22.

• Thread starter triggermortise
  • Start date
  • Replies 3
  • Views 1,434
T

triggermortise

I had this warped idea that I should try to make my 77/22 shoot as well as my Anschutz 54 super match.
Ordered a Volquartsen target stock and match reamer from Brownells. Bought some (used) heavy .22 barrels and fiddled with it to the point where I am just about ready to give up on this Ruger design.
Set the barrel back to the point were it would fire and then increased head space, tighten the bolt, did the trigger, made a very tight fit between the barrel and receiver. Made a barrel in a tube (tension barrel). Long barrel, short barrel.
As a last resort I have ordered a match barrel from a guy in Canada (Gaillard Barrels) lets see how that works.
Al.

I buld and shoot 22RF benchrest, don't mean to burst your bubble but, I never saw a 77 that would shoot with a 54. When you get your barrel slug it. What your feeling for is how rough it is and any tight or loose places, what you want is to cut and crown at a spot that is somewhat tighter than. or the same, as the rest of the barrel, but NOT LARGER. It mite/would help to thread the action also if you can, and try to make every thing dead nuts true to the bore of the barrel, and the center line of the bolt race ways.

I do center fire benchrest, and build my own stuff, but I replaced the factory barrel of my 77/22 with a Douglas blank. Can't say it shoots any better than the factory one. It does however have a "loose" spot in it which I can feel with a cleaning rod, about 2/3 dwon the barrel. So this probably isn't the best example. If I run across another 22RF barrel, I'll try again. As it is, it will hit the head of a squirrel quite well, so it does it's job.

The loose spot won't hurt were its at, its the one that at the last inch or so before the crown that will kill accuracy. You can try cutting the barrel 1/4 to 1/2 at a time and try it, lots of work but it can help, or make/buy a tuner.

Back