What's new
What's new

My HiPower .40 BAR-STO does not feed many bullets

Factory ammo. It has never had a reload.

The ligher bullets hit the feed ramp and do not slide up. Heavier bullets (180s) slide up normally.

In your pictures I see a small ridge just before the entrance to the chamber.Sometimes on lighter loads(bullet weight)the forward part of the case rim will strike this ridge forcing the round off travel.Check this out of course before removing any material from the ridge.In other words smooth the ramp just as it enters the chamber.I'd use stones unless the ridge is larger than it appears in your photos.If this does turn out to be your problem I'd like to know as I haven't done any smithing in quite some years.

[This message has been edited by ray french (edited 05-05-2004).]

I would cover the feedramp some Dykem or magic marker and find out where your bullets are making contact and where they stop when they jam.

Usually on a 45 auto I will place the barrel in the frame by itself with the slide stop through the link and match up the frame to the barrel while in the unlocked feeding position using the cone shaped felt bobs with a Dremel tool for contour and polishing.

This same method should work with your BHP,be careful not to go wild with the Dremel as its hard to put the metal back if you polish too much away.

Barry's caution about the Dremel should not be taken lightly and that's why I suggested polishing stones.Felt bobs would probably work just as well and I'd certainly use them for finish polishing.

Check the magazine. The feed lips may need to be adjusted. With the magazine in the frame and the barrel sitting on the frame, the cartridge should be headed toward the chamber as much as possible.

When removing any metal from the ramp, do not go any forward of where the ramp meets the throat. Might also check the extractor for sharp corners that may prevent the base of the case from sliding up. Try another magazine before any thing else.
Michael

Back