What's new
What's new

SB 16" saddle slop

michigandeer

Plastic
hsy fellas, im trring to figure out what is required to fix the slop in the crossfeed on my lathe. There is approx .100"(by the dial) slop, with the top rear cover of the crossfeed removed i can see that the slop is in the nut that is moved by the acme screw. Is this nut available somewhere? if not how difficult is it to make?

if it helps this lathe is sn# 4584HKR10

check to see if the nut can be tightened to its retainer .......if ur screw is 10tpi pitch .100 slop wud be one full thrd , & the nut wud be no longer slide........just tightened up two last week & ,.075 slop turned into .010.

best wishes
docn8as

ps ....just single pointed a 1/2x10 acme nut for a compound i made for an antique ...it was a simple task ...& the truth is , if u are making (buying ) a new nut , & using the worn screw , u will have tight & loose spots , so one shud take a cleanup cut on the screw , & this leaves an undersize screw , so a stndrd nut will be loose ....so a cleanup cut & custom single point nut is required to return to new , or, a new screw & nut !!...some have repaired & successfullu used epoxy ( JB compound , auo parts stores) sounds hokey , but they say , it is working ..if u want info on single pointing an acme , e mail me

best wishes
docn8as

sorry ...shud read ,nut will no longer move the slide.........aged brain ahead of arthritic fingers

doc

i got the taper apart, and pulled the the cross feed off, and there is no nut to tighten against the bronze nut, so ill be needing a new bronze nut. I looked the thread on the rod over very carefully, and im convinced that with a new bronze nut there wont be enough slop left to be concerned with.

So the next question i have is: the threaded rod measures .689 OD, on top of the threads, and the bronze nut measures .550 ID to the inside of the threads, and i count 8 TPI, and its left hand thread of course, so is this 5/8-8 LH acme? (surely it cant be that easy, can it? )

on a side note, once i got the bronze nut out and looked at the thread, they looked pointed on top like regular threads, not flat on top like acme thread. Almost wore out i'd say

surely it cant be that easy, can it? )

doubt it !

sounds more like 11/16 (.6875 ),rather than 5/8 (.625).....ur dial shud read 0 to 125 if thrd pitch is 8 ,for 1/1000 increments.............if ur satisfied w/ screw, i wud grind a bit to 29 deg. fit to screw , if u dont have a gauge,slightly undersize ....set compound in line w/ lathe axis & cut the thrd to correct depth w/ crossfeed( minor d. + .010 ) ..then take lateral ,rt & left cleanup cuts w/ compound checking for desired thrd fit...this guarantees a fit whearas grinding a bit to EXACT size carries the possibility of looseness& doesent allow for the one to two thou. cleanup cuts smoothing the thrd.( olde tyme brit/canuck method)

best wishes
docn8as

First, Thanks Again for the help!

Secondly, i have found the nut i need, i contacted LeBlond and they have it in stock! So im going to order it from them, also im going to jump on the opportunity to pick up a copy of How To Run A Lathe, and Machine Shop Projects.

Back