What's new
What's new

I got a better Lathe!

pwcosol

Plastic
Thanks to the Forum members for their thoughts on my Lathe dilemma. I went to Reliable Tool on Saturday and looked @ both SB 9" lathes. The first one #198, closed for $920. before I saw it, and was a pretty clean unit. Ways looked great and spindle was tight. The lesser one #987 closes tomorrow. Ways were OK I guess, but had lots of nicks & spindle had at least five thousandths or more play. Looked tired to me, and it is currently @ $515. The guys @ Reliable were very nice, and they sure have a lot of tooling & all kinds of neat gizmos for sale. Saw a lot of Hardinge machines in clean condition.
Anyway, as luck would have it, this morning a guy @ my local swapmeet told me he saw a Logan 9B lathe at a garage sale the day before. I went to the place & ended up buying the thing for $400.
It looks moderately used but not abused. Ways are nice & spindle play is nil. Lathe came w/a 5" 3-jaw & 6" 4-jaw chuck, six like new Williams tool holders w/bits, some spare jaws, complete set of change gears, and wrenches. The other plus is I can utilize many of the components from the creaky Altas on the Logan. Lastly, with any luck I will be able to part out the Atlas and end up in the Logan for nothing, since the former lathe cost me nothing in the first place. Such a deal!

Back