What's new
What's new

prep long-stored lathe for use

mark thomas

Titanium
I've acquired a like-new 10K that's been in storage for many years. The spindle seems slighty tight, although I don't really know what it should feel like (it's my first lathe.) I suspect it's just somewhat dried up oil, but before powering it up, I thought I'd get some expert advice here. Should I just fill the oilers and go, or should I consider removing the spindle and cleaning?

Mark, I got a 10K last year. I had to remove the spindle for a belt replacement. I learned a lot from the project. Yes you can just use a good spindle oil and go. But you prob would feel better if you knew for sure if the spindle oil felts are popped up. I removed a spare 9" headstock spindle and the wicks were stuck down. I have a SB group on Yahoo with pics if you want to join. The best place to buy spindle oil is www.mcmaster.com its about 8 bucks a gal. Pick up some teflon grease for the backgear and pulley while you are there also...Bob http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbend10k/

Mark,

No direct experience with the 1oK. There are quite a few threads about adjusting the spindle bearings. Even though mine ran pretty good, I never felt "right" about it until I went through all the whirly bits, cleaning, adjusting, and lubing. The SPL can take its share of abuse and, unless you know the seller, you can buy a lot if peace-of-mind by going through it yourself.

Have fun,
bill

Back