What's new
What's new

Graziano SAG 14 oil pump

Nick Alexander

Plastic
Has anyone repaired a SAG 14 oil pump? I have just got my lathe, and the pump doesn't appear to be working. The sight glass remains as dry as a bone. I have started removing the pump from the drive shaft, but it would appear that these Italians have smaller hands than me - rather fiddly work.

I was wondering if anyone had stripped down a pump and had any wisdom to offer.

Nick,

This is a dumb question, but have you got the motor running in the correct direction? Normal rotation is when you lift the clutch lever (and lower it for reverse rotation).
Sorry if this is stupid, I don't actually know the setup without taking a look.

Another dumb question: My lathe is a SAG12, and has two pumps, one on the transmission, and one in the spindle housing. Only the one in the spindle housing has a sight-glass.
The one on the trans is a vane-type pump, and I discovered that it wasn't workign correctly because the cover was on wrong.
The SAG14 is probably completely different, though.

Hi Peter,

It might not be a dumb question, because of a few assumptions I have made. One is that the pump is in operation whenever the lathe is turned on, not just when the spindle is turning. (Like the Gornatti lathe I have) I did test this by raising the handle, and still saw no output from the pump. The other assumption is that I have just wired up the lathe, and could easily have wired it in reverse; because I haven't taken any cust yet, I haven't actually checked the direction of spindle rotation. I will check further tonight.

Hi GizmoWizard,

There may be 2 pumps in the SAG14 as well, this one is in the spindle housing, and it feeds into the sight glass.

Nick,

Another thing that is not immeadiately obvious, there is a dipstick for the oil level behind the headstock (between headstock and electrical box).
We have a bit of a spindle oil leak and have to top it up every few months.

Yeah, I had to clean a whole lot of gunk off to be able to see anything. I think I still need to check the outlet pipes from the sight glass, because the oil fills up fine on startup, but when you shut the motor off, it takes a long time for the oil to run out. I have checked that it is actually coming out, because there is a feeder hole above the front spindle bearing and this is running fine. I also suspect the grade of oil in it at the moment is too thick.

Back