What's new
What's new

Please help me ID this turret lathe.

Man, that machine is older than I am, and that is really saying something! Can't you see a serial number in that space on the front of the head, under the spindle, or at the extreme right end of the bed casting, just under the center of the bedways? Could be covered by paint after all the coats it may have had, but clues will be there,

cant find a serial on the main casting. even after stripping all the paint.

i did find markings at the far right end of the bed that said "std screw company..." could not make out the last bit. even with a rubbing.

i also found 3 brass tags.

1. front of bed, under spindle- "the leisy-patton co. cleveland o."

2. front of bed, right hand side under spindle- "the w.m. pattison supply co. cleveland"

3. on the countershaft, facing the rear of the machine- "manufactured by berkeley equipment co. corry, pa. serial no. 1091"

so... no less than 4 different companys listed on this machine.

anyone know anything about these places? ive googled but to no avail...

how old do you think this machine is?

"Manufactured by Berkeley Equipment Co," pretty much says who made it and it wasn't W/S. When machine tool builders sell through distributors or agents it is common for the distributor to have a nameplate screwed to the machine also. That may explain the other two. There were no distributor nameplates on W/S machines because they sold direct with their own sales force in territories across the country. It may be possible that W/S machines sold in some remote area would have been handled by an agent.

if it truly was made by "berkeley equipment co" then why would they have put that tag on the countershaft at the rear of the machine with the tag facing behind the lathe.

seems a bad place for a makers mark. why would they have not put it up front like other companys.

my suspission was thet the countershaft assembley was added at a later date or was an accessorie or was outsourced to berkeley by the lathe maker.

I inspected a Seneca Falls 72" lathe today. A beauty but that is separate story. It had two badges and the name in the casting.
Front leg badge was HASMITH Syracuse NY, Seller/distributor
On the countershaft, facing the rear of the machine- "manufactured by berkeley equipment co. corry, pa. serial no. 1091" exact same as yours except Serial # 1658.
I would say they made the drive mounts for various OEM's
Seneca Falls and size (13-6) in casting.
You may already know the OEM, but just wanted to add more info for future lookers.

Back