What's new
What's new

guided bend tests

swellwelder

Stainless
Back when I was in welding school, we did a lot of guided bend tests while certifying. Since then, I have read a lot about heat affected zones and stress risers along the edges of weld beads. At the time of certifying, no one ever had a weld test crack along the edge of the weld, which if there was a stress riser or heat affected zone, sure would have shown up. What's up with that?

By the way, this was AWS certification on vertical up and overhead with 7018 and MIG 3/8" plate.

Dale Nelson

From what I've been told it has to do in part with the lower quality of materials today. Many places will not allow weave beads anymore as they increase heat input and the heat affected zone. Stringers only.

I've seen a couple Fluxcore welds pretty much explode when being bent. Looked like the piece had been quenched in water before being bent. But it apparently hadn't been. Some said it was because of too much heat input. Sounds very strange to me but apparently it does happen. Hasn't happened to any of my welds yet though.

Dale, I'm guessing that most of your bend tests were done on mild steel plate. HAZ and stress risers are much more of a problem starting with low alloy steels and progressively more of a problem with the high alloy and hardenable steels.

Back