What's new
What's new

Choice of Tig welder for aluminum

greywynd

Plastic
Hi Guys,
I'm new here at the forum, been watching/reading off and on for a while though. I have some questions that I feel are worthy of asking though, so here I am.

Looking at tig welders, I have a lot of projects I'd like to make using 1/8" wall aluminum tubing. (Will be primarily 6061 structural shapes) I've been looking at the Miller Synchrowave 180, and the Lincoln Precision Tig 185. Prices are within $100 of each other, but Lincoln seems to have more support locally. Anyone have any suggestions/input about these two machines?

I've also seen a couple of notes about not having to 'ball' the end of the tungsten with some of the aluminum welding (grind as usual), can anyone fill me in on more details? I'm familiar with the tig welding, but aluminum is basically new to me, so I'm looking for some good starting points to get me going.....(well, did a couple trial pieces at apprenticeship training about 12 years ago, but don't recall much.)

I know a sheet metal shop in our area that does a fair bit of aluminum work, I might stop by to see if I can get some scrap material to practise on. (I know it won't be the same alloy though)

Mark

Just to be different, Thermal Arc TA185TSW. That's what I'd buy in that class just based on the reviews on the welding boards. You'll have to smuggle one across the border unless they've finally gotten one tested by your goobermint.

Back