What's new
What's new

Titanium Tube Welding

I've been playing with it a little bit. I made an adapter for my tig torch to add sheilding gas behind the puddle and I'm purging the inside of the tube with argon. Also when welding to flat stock I prop the stock up off of the table and run gas on the back side.Any other tips will appreciated.

I've been playing with it a little bit. I made an adapter for my tig torch to add sheilding gas behind the puddle and I'm purging the inside of the tube with argon. Also when welding to flat stock I prop the stock up off of the table and run gas on the back side.Any other tips will appreciated.

Sounds like you are on the right track man, just keep everything clean.....I love the way the stuff welds, it is such a ****#y conductor of heat, the weld puddle is very easy to control

Speaking of Ti tubing, I recently got to look at a flat-12 Ferrari F1 car, and the roll hoop reinforcing tube was shop-rolled and welded Ti, and not a piece of production tubing.

You might want to go so far as to make a small temporary box that you can flood with argon to ensure the hot Ti doesn't have any exposure to O2. That could be as simple as taped-up cardboard.

cheers,
Michael

I'm in the procesese of taping togeather a box out of .09 lexan I have laying around I plan on using it to weld some of the small sub dets.I'll let you know how it works out.

Back