What's new
What's new

Weld advice

Jase

Plastic
I am new to computers and just discovered the amazing world of the internet and sites like this.

I am getting older and my eyes weaker and my welds are getting worse because I can't see them. I can't see anything outside of the arc and puddle, so I cannot see where I am going.I use a Lincoln ac/dc stick and a Hobart 175 wire-feed and I have an older auto-dark. Do any of you have any advice? Are there any newer techniques, methods or products that would help? Perhaps a newer, more expensive helmet?

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Perhaps an adjustable auto-dark would help. There are cheater lenses that fit inside the helmet. I will probably need one some day. :cool:

Jase,
Hi Jase.

Have to agree about t'internet :cool:

Re:- "Iam getting older and my eyes are getting weaker..." SO, you're NORMAL then :D

Me too!!

Are you using the right shade for the job at hand ? - seriously - all of us will struggle with a lens too dark, at low current, in bright sunlight...have a nosy round your instruction book for the "proper" glass shades for various currents...( has your autodark gone faulty ? )

Always assuming that you have been to an optician recently, and, assuming your eyes are otherwise normal, and your view of the arc is not prejudiced by tunnel vision or other medical problem, my first port of call would be adjusting the ambient light level, in an attempt to improve the percieved contrast. Another alternative you could try, assuming you are not welding all day long, and something I do now and then, especially with tricky awkward jobs, is to use a lighter glass - usually a shade or two at the most - obviously be careful with this "idea"

Hope this helps !!

ATB

Sim

Back