What's new
What's new

Mig welding stainless

toadjammer

Hot Rolled
I was told sometime in the past that in order to mig weld stainless I should use tri-gas argon co2 helium mix. Is this correct or can I also use straight argon with good results. I ask because I really don't want to go out and purchase another tank. My thinking is if I tig weld using argon with most metals including alluminum steel and stailess I should be able to do the same . I am using a spoolgun with .030 wire.

Thanks
Toad

You can use argon. It works. The trimix is supposed to be hotter, and give a better weld. I have used it, and the difference was not that much, in my case.

75%argon 25% CO2 does pretty well too. I never tried straight argon on the mig with stainless wire.

You may have to mess with the machine settings a bit to get a decent bead with straight argon but it can probably be done. It might tend to pile up fast and not have a good weting action so it may need a higher voltage. If your machine has the balls for it maybe you can spray transfer. Pure argon is great for that.

If you don't mig often it may really not be worth to get another bottle if you can get a good enough result with the straight argon.

There's a couple different types of trimix.
I read somewhere that the trimix with 2% oxygen does good for stainless. I wouldn't bother with it though.

I put together a stainless straight pipe for a John Deere of mine. I used a piece of 3 inch stainless pipe, I think the wall thickness was 1/8 inch and a piece of 1/4 onch for the bottom. I welded it with a 135 lincoln running straight argon. It took some messing with the wire feed speed but it welded real good. It wanted to pile or puddle up with a high wire feed speed so had to slow it down. Worked good for me!

I run 75/25 for the stainless jobs i do. I can't justify buying another bottle for a few jobs a year. Straight Argon won't flow out the weld enough for me...Bob

aametalmaster: You are saying 75% argon 25% co2? And does this work close to tri-gass results? I will be trying it out this week.

Thanks
Toad

Yes 75/25 the same gas i use for steel, i just change the wire to SS. I used to do a lot or repair SS welding for my buddy that has a resturant on the SS pans for the kitchen. Yes people will argue that this isnt the right gas and i know this but its cheaper than buying a bottle that will sit for months on end...Bob

Back