What's new
What's new

Extension cord for a welder?

2L N Die

Aluminum
I have an Airco Dip/Stick 160 that I am hooking up to do some stick/tig welding with. The pigtail on the unit is 6/3 rubber cable, I need to replace it with something longer. I have about 75 feet of 10/3 rubber cable. Can this be used instead of the 6/3? I know there will be some amperage loss over that distance and because of the smaller wire but how much? Too Much? The electrical panel is in the back of the garage and I need to weld in the driveway. Don't have leads on the welder yet. Could I run a shorter power cord and longer leads? I would like to keep the leads to about 25' if possiable.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

230 v ? If you are using "low" settings, then you might be okay, I would try it. The welders don't draw max amps at every setting. Check your connections and cable for heating. If you are pushing the welder to it's limits, then I would use a heavier cable. (BTW, I'm not an electrician and I don't play one on tv either :rolleyes: )

Here's a little calculator that will help. Seems like allowable voltage drop is 3% (?) or 3% per amp, I can't recall exactly.

http://www.codecheck.com/volt_drop.htm

Long welding leads? Keep in mind the storage. An old millwright told me as a trainee
"...long leads? Why? You can't drag one through a cut hay field without it hanging on something. Tie one on and jump outta a plane, you can't hit the ground without it hanging on something"
:D

Michael,
I'd give it a try. The NEC gives some weird small wire allowances for welders based on expected duty cycle. Follow the same advice the welder mfgs use to size cable. If you smell burning plastic, up the wire size.

If my 225 and 250 amp welders will run on a 50 amp circuit, I'd expect your 160 to pull way less than 50. I run 150 feet of #8 extension cord but never go over 150 amps.

As to your cables, you can run 50 feet out and 50 back at 150 amps with #4 or heck, here's a chart.
http://store.weldingdepot.com/pdf/weldingcable.pdf
You can fudge high as it's for 50% duty cycle. 50% duty cycle is pretty serious welding with a stick machine. If you have the money, use a 10 ft section of #4 for your stinger.

Why long leads? It just so happens that the price a farmer will charge to pull your truck out of his muddy field with the tractor you just repaired will be exactly what it cost him to have you repair it, if you are lucky.

But DD is right. They catch on everything, they are a PITA to roll up without getting twisted and people have no respect for your $150 set of cables and walk all over them.

Thanks for the responses.
I going to try the 10/3 cable, already have it so why not. I will keep a close eye on things till I figure out what settings can run on this size wire. Picked up 30 ft. of #4 cable today for the leads (what was left on the spool) for the price of 25 ft.

Also got a new stinger, ground clamp and a few odds and ends. My dad has a plug and receptical. We will be seeing him this weekend and will not get everything hooked up till next week. If all goes well, this time next week I'll be burn'n some rod!!

Thanks again
Michael

I have personally seen two welders that had their electronics burned out because they were run on small wire extension cords.Both were 115V mig welders.One was on a 50 foot cord the other on a 100 foot.One was a Miller the other an off brand.I'd stick with the size that came on the welder or use longer leads and up the working amps a little to get the desired welding effect I needed.It's quite a jump from #6 wire down to #10.

I have personally seen two welders that had their electronics burned out because they were run on small wire extension cords.Both were 115V mig welders.One was on a 50 foot cord the other on a 100 foot.One was a Miller the other an off brand.I'd stick with the size that came on the welder or use longer leads and up the working amps a little to get the desired welding effect I needed.It's quite a jump from #6 wire down to #10.

Now this interests me since I just bought two ( a 100' & a 50' ) #12/3 extension cords to run my HH125 when needed.

I was under the impression the 50' was OK while the 100' might be pushing the envelope in a #12/3 cord. If this isn't true..Please enlighten me "before" I do something that might damage the welder.

While on the subject of cords-- I bought a 25' & a 50' motorhome cord with 3 prongs( they are #10- 30A/125V cords) for a plasma cutter that requires 20A/220V power. I was told these would be sufficent to run the plasma(the manual states 20A twist lock plugs & cord) since I'm not doing any production work,just playing in the shop. Rather than adding another 220 line I made-up a pigtail that plugs into the 10' dedicated 220V welder/plasma circuit and has a female plug to fit the motorhome extension cords(whichever one I need) If anyone sees a problem with this idea --Please-- speak up.

I'm plumb stupid about wires/electricity issues,but I'm willing to learn and understand the correct guidelines need to be followed. I can read up on "How to" but real life "Correct" may be a better route in this case & I may have been given bogus guidelines.

I appreciate any informed, knowledgable information about something I know nothing about---"before" I screw up something I've got money invested in.

Thanks,Dave

Last edited:
Does your Dip Stick 160 have a TIG option? I added a high freq box and solenoids, timers and the like to one and was very happy with it.

Dave (kdc),

I ran a MM130xp for years on a permanent 12/3 50' extension cord. I had the thing hard wired into the cart and plugged the machine into that. Never had any issues.

10/3 is good for 30A. 12/3 is good for 20A. Voltage in the system is only a factor of how the device operates. As long as you're using proper wiring (typically rated to 600V, but 300V is sufficient), you'll have no problems.

Michael, I wouldn't run anything lighter than 8/3 for 50A.

Up and running

I did end up using the 10/3 power cord. Been using it for two years now and no problems. I dont weld real heavy stuff. I did end up using 15' leads. The power cord was on hand so didn't have to buy any. If I had to spend the money I would have gone heavier on the power cord.

Avanti....it does have the tig option and the high freq box but have not used it yet. Seems that every time I try something pops up and I forget about it. I like the welder except for the fact that it is a scratch arc, real pain in the arse for wierd positions. I would like to change to a foot pedal but have no clue how to do it or even if its possiable.

Michael

Back