What's new
What's new

TIG torch question

enginebuilder

Stainless
Ok, so the welder repair shop is telling me my torch is bad, or more correctly the wires in the torch hoses. my uderstanding is that thereis a conductor that runs inside or around the water coolant lines, and that it is likely correded or broken inside. does this make any sense to anyone? isit possible that it might be just damages at the connections on the ends an would be repairable or is it time for a new torch assy?
What say you senators from the welder club?
jim

runs inside hose
and if it's corroded to the point of broken
i'm not sure i would bother with trying to repair
but's that's just me used to spending someone else's money and having to account for repair time vs. replacement....DON.... ;)

at Ries price that only gives me about 20 minutes plus part's (figuring hose assm. is half cost of new torch)and you still got a used torch when your done

In my shop, the tig hoses are considered a consumable- that is, we dont sweat it when we have to buy a new one. Mine cost around 65 bucks.
Its true, inside one of the little plastic hoses is the main power supply wire, bare copper in the ones I have seen, and it can get kinked and broken. We constantly walk on ours, drop stuff on it, wheel carts over it, or just trip on it. I have mine covered, I prefer the leather with velcro- the damn plastic zippers melt, making the cool tactical black nylon ones not so useful- 30 feet of hose wrapped in black electrical tape gets kinda ugly. But even with the covers, the hose is vulnerable, and gets damaged from time to time.
Much more common is melting a hole in the plastic hose- and spraying coolant everywhere.
This can be caused by forgetting to turn on the radiator (who me? says Brett, who works for me, and did this last month. "I was sure I turned it on".)
Or by draping the hoses over a very hot piece you have just welded.
Done that myself a few times.

Most modern torches have a hose assembly that is removable from the torch, so you only have to buy a new hose set.
I have never seen one that is all one piece, requiring you to buy a whole new torch, but I suppose its possible.

Well, if you can believe it, the local welding store says they actually have the power hose in stock! I about fell out of my chair, nobody here EVER has what I need, and for only 45 bucks. Guess we'll find out if that fixes the problem.
Thanks for the advice guys
This was a continuation for the other post I had made about the ESAB 252 help, apparantly it was the hose that caused my problem. I had never give it any thought before about how the power got to the electrode, hard to believ you can weld with a skinny little wire like that
Jim

Back