What's new
What's new

CNC editors

scojen

Stainless
I looked at the cnc syntax editor and its ok but I used to have a text editor that would allow you to program in colors for different g code, x--- y--- z--- statements and a host of other details that made checking code easier and faster. Does any one have such an editor in their collection If I remember it was a free or shareware application. I really need this due to having to start writing and editing some conversion programs from one type of control to another unfortunately it is all 5 axis stuff and that just adds to the fun.

Scott

That is not the one I had in mind although I am going to download and have a look. The one I had before was really a text or programming editor.

Thanks,
Scott

If you're converting files from one machine to another, our PC-DNC Editor has a "File/Convert" feature you might like. With it, you can program up to 100 steps each of text search & replace, text swap, numbber format, axis mirror, and axis scale. When you're done programming all the mass-edits to convert a file from one type of CNC to another, you save that conversion profile with a name (like: "Mori to Okuma"). You can save as many conversion profiles as you like.

To actually convert a file, you just open a file in the editor, click "Modify/Convert file", then select "Mori to Okuma". All of the mass edits are done in one shot.

PC-DNC Editor can be downloaded as a free 30-day demo from our web site at www.sub-soft.com

Yes,

with editCNC you can color-code characters. I also love the code-store module.The only drawback I've found with editCNC is that you cant change the background color.

Best one for value is Discriminator from http://www.cncedit.com/
Not time limied and the paid version has a couple of items that the demo doesn't.
Not expensive so it doesn't hurt that much.
It only takes it to catch one bad program to pay for itself.
All the colours, including background can be defined.

John S.

I have never seen an editor that colors different types of codes, watching this carefully. I will check the links shortly.

I have used masterCams editor with excellant success, knowing how to use the "find" command, but alas, masterCam is expensive. To beat expense for my CNC Classes, using what people have on hand at home - common to all computers (but Linux and Mac), I use either Notepad - the windows basic editor, or Word. Both have the find / replace options, as well as cut and paste.

In word, save the file as a "Text" file, or Rich text.

Text is based on ASCII, which is the basis of all CNC Controllers (that I know) transfer language between DNC/CNC from PC to machine.

I hate to repeat myself, but since I've been writing this code for over 9 years, I feel a bit of fondness for this editor. It's "my baby":

PC-DNC Editor has all the features mentioned above. It has programmable file conversions, number formatting, color definitions for each address (X, Y, Z, M, etc.), Foreground/Background color settings, ISO/EIA/ASCII file I/O with many protocols, Mazatrol CMT file I/O, Parallel BTR output for older Fanuc/Yasnac controls, FTP data server ...

... and about 125 more features, like program rotation, spline curve fitting, axis scaling, etc. etc.

Just go to www.sub-soft.com

PI,

I can't. I've tried for a month. I can set the output format for linear moves and arcs, but it ignores the arcs. WTF?

I found that the fil file is heavily scripted to deal with my 1989 dynapath D20 controll. I lack the programming background to decipher just what the heck is going on.

at this point I just use a VB script to trim and round them and I get on with life.

I've been using Dan Fritz's PC-DNC editor on a Bridgeport.I didn't like the program Bridgeport had as had to write in notebook save then go to thier EZ files and transfer.Only problem is I haven't figured out how to get PC-DNC to tell the control the program was sent,though just hit reset and all is well.Now if I can just get it to work on the Sharnoa Tiger4 I'd be a happy camper.

Guys,
Thanks for all the information And the winner is "Discrimator" by cncedit. Why, the price is right, it allows a working visual while editing.

Scott

You might try KipwareXC at www.KentechInc.com ... it has a user defined color pallet in the Editor for whatever ( text or whole words ) plus other CNC related options plus a ton of standard conversion features as well as unlimited number of user-defined macro type conversions.

Also CNC XChange for more complex conversions like Fanuc <--> Okuma and others.

2lmaker:

For your Bridgeport, try going to the "IO" menu, then click "Configure IO device" , then "Advanced". In the "Trailer" box, put this:

%<0><4> (just as it appears)

This will send a percent sign, a "null" character, and an EOT, or Ctrl-D character. The Bridgeport should finish out when it sees the EOT.

Let me know ....
Dan Fritz

Back