What's new
What's new

EdgeCAM Users Help

jb1knobe

Plastic
Hey All,
I’m another on the endless quest for a decent CAM application. I would really like to know what you guys like about EdgeCAM. This package looks promising.

I’m working on a demo but what I see that I like so far is the hole recognition (feature), solidworks associativity, and the strategy manager.

Can anyone give input on:

Multi axis, specifically MTM, machining.

Difficulty in learning. So far the software looks relatively simple re layout, some programs have so many layers that you really have know what’s going on.

Software stability. Does it like to crash?

Support and service.

Any other input.

Thanks!

JB

I used EdgeCam from Pathtrace Systems for many years. It is a good piece of software, IMHO.
I started with PMS, dos based software, language based. Then moved up to PAMS, or Pathtrace Advance MAnufacturing System, also dos based.
Finaly, used EdgeCam for the lastdozen or so years. Support was always pretty good, I would venture to say at least as good as most other vendors provide.
The company I work for has moved to MasterCam, due to the dificulty of locating programers familiar with EdgeCam.
I always liked EdgeCam, and got excellent results from the software. Easy to learn and get going with, and full featured as you delve deeper into the customizable features available to taylor it to your specific needs.
I recommend carrying the maintainence contract, as you get a couple of upgrades a year, unlimited phone support, and website access.
Good software, great people. That was my experience for many years of daily use.

I had the opportunity to evaluate and Test Edgecam V9.75 and Mastercam X with Prodrill. Edgecam is a decent product, but it is a bit clumsy with its handling of the toolpaths. The hole recognition and graphics are great, so too is Strategy Manager, if you have 2 months to set it up correctly. Mastercam was much better in the machining (2d), with a lot more options. The standard drilling in Mastercam is quite limited but if you buy PRODRILL, which is a CHOOK add on, it blows away EdgeCam with the overall performance.

The true test is demoing both products on the same part where there is alot of drilling milling and multi-sided machining. Depending on what type of work you do, you will see a big difference in functionality.

As far as service goes, the company I work with who uses EdgeCAM has a consultant that took very good care of them, providing on-site training and writing the posts for them (of course for a fee). I think finding a good reseller is key to any software package.

Back