What's new
What's new

Any UG programmers need a job ?

Calzone

Hot Rolled
To the mod: If this is not appropriate then please delete it.

This is a permanent second shift position that will also include tooling design in time.

The company I work for is in need of a UG programmer, and is willing to train. I asked my boss today, and moving expenses will be covered for the right applicant. The job starts somewhere between $18-$20 depending.

Things are getting so tight that we don't have time to design the tooling and program it in the time allowed.

If your interested send me an e-mail to:
[email protected]

I think you also should mention that you can still get 40 acres and a mule at a decent price in Kansas. Most people don't know that $18-$20
spends pretty well in places like Kansas and
Ohio.

Good point. The average home price where I live is under 100k. Actually, 70ish gets a decent ranch with attached garage and 1/3 acre about 1 mile from work.

Actually, 70ish gets a decent ranch with attached garage and 1/3 acre about 1 mile from work.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Even if it's a beater that's about $375-$400K here, and the wages for a half ass decent machinist are about $20-$22 an hour, you can
drive 30-40 miles and get $25-$30 an hour, we
have earthquakes instead of tornados,....Bob

I look at tornado season like a possible planned strike, and earthquakes as terrorism. We have about 1 month every year in the early spring vs any moment all the time.

We did get hit with an F3 in 2000 that spawned the quasi urban new roof movement in my small town. Most of Parsons doesn't need a new roof for the next 30 years, mine included. ;)

It's the first in my town in about 100 years( I've been here 7). The bad stuff always goes north or east of us.

The bad stuff always goes north or east of us.
Right through the South Wichita/Hayesville/Mulvane/Wellington area. Right through the area where all the people with the really good paying jobs in Southeast Kansas live. :D

Wichita is about 2 hours away. Tulsa a little less and KC about 3 hours. The location isn't perfect, but big cities are within driving distance. I'm from the eastern seacost areas both north and south extremities, and I've liked the change to a casual mid-west small town. The people are nice, and family values are prevelant. It's kinda funny to recognize the same batch of 40-50 cars every morning and night going to and from work. I do miss the seafood though.

So far we haven't had any luck finding a new person, and have interviewed 3 operators from the existing 2nd shift. It will be starting from scratch with them if my boss choses that route. I just hope that my work output doesn't get affected too much while they learn the ropes.

UG isn't the easiest sytem to cut your teeth on. It's what I started with, other than some tech school Autocad and similar products, and it took me about a year to get into the groove so to speak.

That's funny...I was just talking to someone and he mentioned there was a flood of UG programmers from Detroit area available....automotive stuff you know.

I guess my company didn't look hard enough. Planes/trains/automobiles, it's all the same as far as programming is concerned. The job does require thinking in 3D, but most any qualified person could do the job. Moving to Nowhere,KS is not a good selling point I guess.

Moving to Nowhere,KS is not a good selling point I guess.
I suppose. I am NOT a UG programmer...FAR from it. But the nowhere part bothers me none...but it gets HOT out there don't it? And windy...log chains for windsocks!!! :D

We do have a point on the map, and it's been a rather warm summer. OK, I can't lie, it's been over 100deg for the last month. It's bad when an office worker starts to get used to sweating bullets.

Another problem with living in Kansas is having college football power houses on both north and southern borders.

And windy...log chains for windsocks!!!
Yep. I used to build rifles when I lived in Kansas. Damn sure was hard to get a good shooting day on the outside range. But it would make you an expert at reading wind and mirage!

On the plus side - just a couple hours north, in the area surrounding Emporia - some of the best deer hunting in the U.S. (seriously) If you are an outdoorsman, there's a lot to offer in the area. Fishing, ducks, pheasant, quail, geese, deer - I could go on and on. Plus, for those Detroit outdoorsmen - Wichita is one of the few places in the lower parts of the midwest that sports walleye, in Cheney and El Dorado lake reservoirs.

A guy can make a really good living with a technical background in SE Kansas. Especially if you know Catia or UG. I'd say that you'd do better with Catia, or BOTH Catia and UG, but there are plenty of jobs that drift back and forth between Boeing St. Louis, (who use UG) and Spirit Aerosystems. (formerly the Wichita Boeing parts plant - who use Catia)

Ron Dawson - has your company considered hiring a contracted employee? I know of several, and could put them in contact with you, if it would be considered an option.

What version of Unigraphics are you using? (I am guessing NX2, but don't want to assume)

We initially considered contract work to get over the hump, but with 3 shifts of machinists we really need the added coverage of a full-time programmer. We are off-loading work when possible, and it's helped. I don't like my die programs being machined off-site, but I have no choice in the matter. I just double check everything, but it's a one time run on nasty geometry. 304 stainless isn't too forgiving on little mistakes. The last one I sent out was 4 die halves measuring 96.00 x 18.00 x 8.00 with a total run time of just over 200 hours. A lot can go wrong in that period of time, and I'll have to addess the issues by phone. I plan for no calls, but I have to be realistic.

We use NX2 because of Boeing requirements, and I didn't see anything positive in moving to NX4 anyways. They moved all the buttons, and they changed a ton of things just so they could call it a new release like always. They even have a Start button now like Catia for instance. Every icon that I could see has been changed. I'll spend a month re-learning the icons only to be as productive as I am now.

We use NX2 because of Boeing requirements, and I didn't see anything positive in moving to NX4 anyways.
Oh, no, no, no... We're talking about a whole different CAD system, almost. I think it would be a big mistake to say that the new NX4 is in the same category as the archaic NX2. Not everything is visible on the surface, but there are some MAJOR improvements. (although you've obviously noticed the new interface)

When I said "contracted employees", you do understand that I meant on on-site programmer, right? (an "industrial prostitute", if you will)

Will they provide their own programming software? My boss indicated a change in heart as far as contract programming. However, he doesn't want to have to buy another seat of UG unless it were to be for a permanent employee. If you would like to send me their information I'd appreciate it. Just send it to the e-mail address in my first post. I'll be here until 6pm CST tonight.

Back