What's new
What's new

Opinions Mazak Micro Turn

3t3d

Diamond
I went to look at a Mazak Micro Turn today.
It has a Fanuc 5T control. No boot tape. Do they need a boot tape? Or just parameters?
Opened the control cabinet, and there was a battery pack no longer conected to the mother board, seperated by corrosion. Otherwise, the electronics looked neat and clean. I didn't find a list of parameters in the documentation.

Six postion single turret. Maybe '82 vintage.

It was donated to a high school, where they applied power, and it popped a 100 amp breaker, no evidence of anything wrong or missing smoke. They turned it on again, and it popped the breaker, so that is all they ever did with it.

It is up for adaption, is it worth the crane charge to haul it home? I don't have any other turning center, and could at least run some simple parts I have to turn away now.
It looks nice and clean, and mostly complete.

Any thoughts on this? Other than "Run Forest RUN!!" LOL.

Again, the old 5T without a CRT, not as nice as a modern touch screen perhaps, but it is only a simple turning center.

Pete

It will have old DC motors on it, the spindle motor probably is full of carbon dust from the brushes, this might of caused the spindl;e drive to blow and hence short out your mains supply.

I agree with Pi ditch all the control and motors and retrofit your own.
I wouldn't spend to much on shipping though as these sort of machines looking for a new home are getting quite common and if it costs you more than $500 to get it back to your place, its not worth it, as they will be another one just round the corner.

Back