What's new
What's new

Paint Compatability

SLOEIT

Cast Iron
Hey all,

Only slightly off topic here. Would anyone know if standard car paints and primers are compatable with Epoxy systems? The guy at the paint store had no idea what we were talking about when we explained we wanted to paint a carbon/kevlar/epoxy composite. Only said "I dont know anything about painting kevlar"...

Thanks for any insight!

nK

I painted my carbon fibre bodywork just like I paint everything else, epoxy primer, basecoat, topcoat. Turns out just like anything else, no problem.

Surfboards are built out of both occasionally, although most use fiberglass. Call a surf board shaper and ask. I think there are a few in your area...

I've a feeling that cellulose would attack the epoxy - it certainly wrinkles epoxy primer. I've done that! Most car paints, however, are acrylic now and that should be OK.

Epoxy paint would work great.

Regards, Jim

paint it with basically whatever you wish.as long as the epoxy has cured,there should be no problems.(you have allready post cured-right?)use house paint,spray paint, laquer,enamel,acrylic enamel,epoxy,poly-urethane,urethane,standard finishing procedures apply. one note: I would stick with one paint system(WHATEVER NAME BRAND YOU CHOOSE) and stay with it all the way through. Switching systems(even thinners) can sometimes cause adverse paint reactions(lifting,bubbling,peeling,etc)that is not to be blamed on the substrate. this is not specific advice to epoxy resin parts but just good general advice for painting. :D

Back