What's new
What's new

Cinnatti-Milacron electric trouble 2MK(207MK)

rmsfla

Cast Iron
Starting up this Cincy for the first time.
The machine came off of Ebay..and had sat for some 5 years or so.
I need this machine for a large job..
I found that it had a bad Hydraulic motor..
I had it rewonded and reinstalled it...
I belive I have a bad run circuit.. I can't get the relays to get energize..Made sure the machine had enough oil.. all the fuses checked..etc.etc.
I held in the relays to check motor rotation,
everything sounds and looks fine..
I realy think I'm going to need a wiring diagram for me to continue to trouble shoot this..
Anybody ha a wiring diagram for this machine ??
(It was made in 1974 I was told) sold "NEW" in 1978..
Model #2MK (207MK)General Purpose Milling Machine
Serial# 13J2P1ABE-8
Has a "Automatic Table Cycles" feature
440Volts
Any help?
Regards
Robbie

I have TWO 207MK mills- one an EX CNC Vertical and a horizontal. The CNC shares some of the electrical circuits of the Automatic Table Cycle machine, while the horizontal is just the basic machine. Getting the machine running may or may not be just the start of your adventure. These machines use electrical solenoids to operate hydraulic clutches for the three axis of travel.

If your hydrualic motor doesn't come on- which that's the first motor that has to run, you should make sure all your tables are in the middle of your travels. There's limit switches on all three axis, and if you're up against one the machine will not start. OR if one of the limit switches is gummed up, and not able to "snap" open, it will make the machine not start. The other problem-possibility is the OFF button is not making contact. The switches on these machines have proven totally unreliable on mine. If I'm operating my machine and all of a sudden it doesn't respond, I've just rapidly pushed the on and off buttons which cleans them up. I gave up on them finally and replaced them. Your machine with auto cycles, may use the same crappy relays my CNC uses. I've replaced, rewired half of the control relays.

As a warning, this machine has more than one hydraulic filter, which needs to be clean. The one that's obvious is a replacable, the one that's not obvious, you have to remove the hydraulic pump, on the right side to get to it. It's the inlet screen, and I can't believe how horribly plugged mine was. The clutches for axis travels are not very robust. I replaced mine, which entails removing the entire gearbox out of the knee and completely dismantling the geartrain. This mill is not the bullet proof mill like the older ones. Frankly, it's not a very reliable machine. I do have schematics for these machines, but they are big, and would need to be copied at a copy shop.

If your machine is like mine, you'll have to address multiple issues, before you have a running machine. I've unfortunately become rather proficient at working on these mills. I hate becoming as intimate with my machines as I have with these. My horizontal machine came out of a automotive plant, so I'm sure it was run to death.

Thanks Brian for answering my plea...
This machine was not a CNC machine ...just has that table auto cycling system on it.
I do repairs machinery repairs here...one or two offs...no real production.
I'll never use that auto table feature in this shop.I like to remove it If it going to be trouble ...
Brian.. I have a motor control man who volunteer to come by and see what he can do Monday...

Do you have time to run off a copy of that wiring schematic and send it to me?
I'll be glade to reimburse you of your cost for you troubles....
I always try to have on hand as much information I can to help trouble shoot any of my machines.
I have a all the parts books and maintenance manuals for every machine that I own.

The last time I requested a wiring diagram form Cincinnati for a cylindrical grinder they charge $125.00 for ONE sheet of paper AND it wasn't the right one! ...couldn't return it... They wouldn't help me out...They said that all they had for information on that machine ..."the machine is too old ".... $125.00 wasted
I'll never do again !

By the way..I did fine a spade terminal off on the front STOP switch and it too was gummy ..I had clean it up..but still ,no luck..
Brian... I'll check out the switches on the trip dogs to see if they are OK in the morning..
I really need to get this machine running..
This MK2 horizontal mill has a vertical head attachment and I have one job that's too big and too heavy to put on Bridgeport or my Wells-Index..
I sure could use a #4 vertical...

You heading is "Versa mill" Do you own one?
Regards,
Robbie

I know about the automatic system on your mill. It uses a series of microswitches to control the rapids and feeds of the machine. Those microswitches turn on and off relays, which in turn apply power to the electrical servos, that make this machine operate. On the left side of your machine is a series of six servos, that have little buttons in the center. If you manually push these in, they will make your mill travel in one direction. There's pairs of them for table left, right- saddle in- out, knee up- down. On the right side of the machine up front on the knee are two more servos that control the feed- normal or rapid. Your spindle also has some extra circuitry to allow gear changes. It's called the spindle pulsing circuit, which is in effect the first time you turn on the spindle, and after you do a gear change. Your spindle will pulse on and off three times before it latches on. Changing the SPINDLE speed starts this proccess over. The spindle will NOT turn on, if your spindle selector knob has not come all the way back out. One of mine was sticky.

I converted my CNC 207MK to a pushbutton operated mill. Removed the computer and associated wiring, and control all the original computer controlled relays, with pushbuttons on the front of the machine. These relays just control the 8 hydraulic servos. Your automatic machine has a very similar setup wiring wise. Because of this conversion, I've gotten very proficient at troubleshooting the electrics of these machines- not that I want to be! Frankly I just want to run the machines.

I own many VersaMils as I own the company that makes them, and also Master Milling Machines, right angle heads and feedtables.

I'll try and coerce my wife to take the schematic to a copy place. I have the manual machine schematic which will serve your machine. I think it has the automatic circuitry in it too. That option is pretty nice. I wouldn't remove it, if you can get it figured out. If you totally get in a jam give me a call, and I can help. These machines are pretty straight forward to troubleshoot- especially if you have a schematic. It's pretty quick and easy to jumper past all the microswitches and trouble shoot. the switches aren't daisy chained, so all the wiring for each switch comes back into the electrical cabinet. With a jumper you can quickly troubleshoot what switch may or may not be giving you grief. My website has my phone number www.versamil.com

Brian
I'm still in trouble..My motor control pal didn't show up as plan this morning..
He had a bigger emergency to take care of.
I had checked back with him later today and told him that I might have a lead on the wiring schematic, he said "that would help locating the problems faster"..
So Brian..may I impose on your dear "BRIDE" to help me secure a copy of that print?
Again,I'll gladly reimburse you any cost that may occur.
If you get a chance please let me know...
Thanks,
Robbie
Robbie's Machine Service, Inc.
10462 Weatherly Rd.
Brooksville,Fla. 34601
(352)-797-0123
themachinist at bellsouth dot net

Back