What's new
What's new

Cincinnati 2MI questions

Rabidfish

Aluminum
I recently aquired a Cincinnati 2MI (ser# 2J2P1Y-15)
I am interested in obtaining operators, parts manuals, and any other info regaurding this machine.
It's in poor condition. Is it worth spending a little time and money on? Or is it worth more to someone for parts, etc... (My apologies, I'm not an experienced mill operator, I came upon this machine quite by accident)

Thanks!
Craig

http://www.giddings.com/index.php?id=1413&L=1
Phone number on application will work also

Hold on to your wallet.. Manual is pricy but it is a good parts and service manual
I think you need Publication number M-1770-2
If you part it out, it is nice to know part number and proper name of parts

Thanks for the info.

If I dont get it functional, it needs to go away as a whole machine. I have neither the time, nor the space to be in the machine parts business.

I got it for the cost of moving it, (3 bottle job, I believe) So it would be free to a good home.

Anyone have need of a parts machine?
Thanks, Craig

How bad is it? surface rust cleans up easily, and the oil operated shifting keeps thing generally rust free inside. Coolant can cause rust problems in knee. Can you spin drive pulley under back cover? With enough cranking, even by hand you should be able to check feeds and spindle. Is the Clutch lever intact on top of machine? Moving it to right will engage spindle. If it is savable it will out work a Bridgeport for sure..... Big table and 3 axis power feed with rapids standard... Can you post a pic? If it is a parts machine that will help part needers (me)

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/5/7.html

Not sure yet... I need to power it up in the next couple weeks to assess it's actual condition.

The motor turns, as does the spindle. The "X" axis is stiff but workable. the "Y"... I have no idea yet. ( Funny, but the quill has no power downfeed... :rolleyes: )

I'll get back with more info soon...
Thanks, Craig

i have two of them damm sturdy machines. you can still get the manuals from cincinnati for 15.00
each.

Giddings IS Cincinnati parts now......... Took the 1 800 934 0745 phone number off of my old Cinci Milacron parts/service manual and it popped up as Giddings

After a little research and debate, I'm going to keep this machine for a bit and see how well I can get it to run. The consensus is, it would be hard to find a more rigid machine for the price I paid for it. I'm hoping to work it hard, and pass it on to someone else when the time comes to replace it with an updated piece.

Thanks all,

Craig

Back