What's new
What's new

John, question about K series # 3 Horiz mill

MwTech Inc

Titanium
John,
Since you seem to be the resident expert on K&t's I have a question please.
Brought home today a No#3 Plain Milwaukee horiz mill,serial no# 1-4320 K series.
What year and weight is this machine?
Thanks
Andy

Sometime in early forties - the lot numbers in the book jump all around - like they were really busy. :D I see no group that would include 4320 , just numbers all around that in '43 - '45

#3 plain K was a manly unit at 7540 lbs. No doubt has rear controls.

You have yourself one of the epoch kings - the others looked up to these.

John

John

Yes it does have rear controls.The 7500 lbs makes sense as my forktruck had a "teeter" problem unloading :D I may have written the serial down wrong, may be 4230 instead. Should I lube, etc this mill the same as my little 1H? Also, did they come with a quick change unit for the arbors or was this an add-on?
Thanks for the help.

Also, did they come with a quick change unit for the arbors
I guess I am too old fashioned to suppose what these may be, unless you are talking power draw bar, which I have never seen on one of these old mills. Even on the verticals, it was de rigeur (sp?)to get your step ladder and 1 5/8 Williams single open end wrench and get after it (usually aided by a "thumper" of some description)

Some mills (old High Power Cincinnati verticals come to mind) had steps and hand holds to help with this chore.

Lubing it like the 1H would be a good start. I have the recently offered Op Man ($155) if someone wants to scan it, post it here for all to have, and return my original. Be forewarned, for the steep price, G&L did a very poor copy job of the fine old K&T stuff.

John

Well it's not a powered quick change.
It is a ring assembly located on the spindle that you use a pin spanner wrench to loosen or tighten the ring. This ring holds the arbors in place. Looks like this assembly bolts onto the spindle face.

Thanks John

Andy, "quick change" for one of these machines was when the machinist yelled out to one or more of his helpers "Change that arbor, and be QUICK about it!" :D

Actually, I don't know when they started it but I have seen several KT's with what was called the powered draw bar option. Alas, neither of MINE have that option! I have been thinking about building a magnum version of the ever popular DIY powered draw bars. Instead of using a 3/8's butterfly impact I want to use a 3/4 drive.

John,

I have a whole cabinet full of "Beaver Quick Change" tooling for my Gorton 3-48 horizontal as well as three extra master holders.

The master holder is held in with the drawbar and the quick change holders are taken in and out with the spanner that you wrote of.

They still make the stuff in North Carolina but I can not imagine who can afford it new. As a matter of fact I think it is the same outfit that reps D'andrea boring heads in the US.

I have plenty of extras and would be willing to share if you're interested.

Good luck, Doug

Sorry to intrude on your thread but this is perhaps of interest,

I have a 1.5" diam shank BEMA-12 Beaver Quick Change toolholder, 1" diam bore for sale, $5 plus shipping;

endmillholder5.jpeg

scroll down page to pic#5 in the endmill holders section.

Thanks,

Greg

Back