What's new
What's new

Did anyone see this beast on fleaBay?

ions82

Stainless
It's listed as an "American" lathe, but I am wondering if it just made in the U.S. or it is an actual ATW machine. It looks like it has quad v-ways. It's pretty well equipped and will surely be a bargain if it goes to the highest bidder.

American lathe on fleaBay

I cannot tell from pic about quad ways, but it looks like it has spent plenty of time out side. May clean up nice, but would be a crap shoot hoping everything is there.

A fairly late High Duty - you can see the "L" type spindle lock nut, so it isn't old enough to be threaded spindle. These are no fooling lathes, just not as classy or elegant as the Pacemaker.

I see DeWaynne is bidding on it.

John

IMO, it looks like it has very little rust for sitting outside in Indiana. I think it will make a great lathe for long/big stuff and hogging. I sure wish such machines came with a documentary of their entire history.

Found this thread late... its probably a 12 speed machine, approximate max 750 rpm but probably could be sped up to 1k like some Monarch people do to their CK's. Antifriction spindle bearings and likely helical gears in the headstock. Nice that it has the follower rest too. Chuck looks original. If it doesn't come with one, ATW's steady rests are conventional- they put a vee on one leg, but relieved the other so it would rest on the top of the other way.

This lathe has lever feeds on the apron. Thread dial is integral, protruding thru the front of the apron- so no worries about it being gone.

Its a late 30's maybe early 40's machine- basically right before the model was discontinued. Looks like it'll clean up really well too.

Hopefully the buyer will get in touch here or on the Yahoo ATW forum, some better pics would be great.

Greg

Back