What's new
What's new

Info For Gorton O-18A vertical Mill???????

OneOffCustoms

Plastic
I just recently purchased a gorton o-18A vertical mill and i cant seem to find any info on it at all. Ive contacted richard gorton and he does not know of the mill. im curious if anyone has one or knows of them and if they could share some info with me. the year and any other info would be nice. Its similar to the 1963 O-16 but with more controls and larger motor. thanks for reading

IMG_0480.jpg

IMG_0486.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg

We have a similar Gorton at work, which looks the same only more modern looking with sheet metal belt guards. I think it is a G-18 but will have to check to be sure.

I like the mill as it is a little heavier than a Bridgeport with its 40 NMTB spindle, large diameter quill, and big wide knee. Another nice feature on the one we have is the power down feed on the quill is a variable speed electric motor. The only thing I don't like is it feels a little shorter than a Bridgeport, and my back hurts arter using it for extended periods. If I used it more often I would probably put it up on some 4x4's.

Have you looked to see what spindle tooling this mill uses?

well it takes endmills and i guess it could take other tooling but i dont have much for it but som collets. sorry im not a machinist. this will be the machine i learn on. luckily my dad has machining experiance. this machine is all manual and i agree is a little on the short side. i have it on a fully mobile cart i fab'd up for it. so its elevated 4 inches up and still could be higher. any other info or questions would be great. right now i cant turn it on because i need 3 phase i believe. im currently just dismantling little areas and cleaning and oiling. its has been sitting for several years.

IMG_0505.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0485.jpg

No info on the mill, but nice tray you made for it. I built one like that for my Doall horizontal bandsaw a few years back and it is great being able to pull that 1000 lb beast wherever I need it. Mine is designed just like yours to keep the COG at it's lowest.
Good luck and have fun with it.--Grant

thanks jackalope. this one was built before i had the mill in my possesion because it was stored way back in a garage on the back of some property. i figure this mill probably wieghts about 1700- 2000#. its 2x3 .188 wall for the base frame and 2x4 .120 wall. then gusseted with 1/4 plate. the casters are rated at over 1000# each. it makes the movement really nice. not quite shopping cart ease but least i dont need a forklift! i actually put all my tools on casters. helps when shop space is limited.

I don't think I've ever seen mention of a 0-18 in the Gorton literature. It has similar lines to the 1950s vintage 0-16A that I have but some of the controls are different. My guess is that not many were made.
Mark

what picture were you looking at 7018? if you were looking at the third from the bottom the three holed block is for the depth stops. And Mark yeah i havent been able to find anything on it at all. closest thing is what the first guy said they have at work. i do belive it is bigger then an o-16.

Back