What's new
What's new

Lift Trucks, OSHA, and the Titanic

Modelman

Titanium
This is a long shot, but maybe someone can help. We just did lift truck training at our shop, and the instructor pointed out that OSHA requires a copy of the owner's manual to be on the machine at all times, for reference use. Ha! I've never had a manual for this machine, neither did the guy I bought it from. In fact, I suspect the original manual went down with the Titanic, or maybe it was the Lusitania.

Not that the machine is a junker. It always runs (electric), the brakes work, the pump works, the cylinders don't leak, and it is perfectly adequate for the little use we give it, which is taking 1000 pound Gaylords of material off a truck about twice a month. If we had a dock, I'd get rid of the truck and just use a pallet jack, but we don't have a dock.

So, would anyone have a source for a manual for an Automatic Electric Truck model CF-20? The plate says it was manufactured by Yale & Towne, Chicago, IL. A look at the Yale web site says that Yale acquired the Automatic Transportation Co. of Chicago in 1933. Somehow I doubt that I'm going to find a manual on this web site, although a Yale dealer might be able to procure one from their archives.

Lacking finding the original manual, anyone have a source for a generic manual for an electric ride-on lift truck? I have the voltage, weight capacity and on what centers from the plate, and the controls are dirt simple. If I had some graphics I could create a manual that shows what the operator needs to know.

Dennis

not that I want to get into the intricacies of OSHA rules, but is this new? I was looking through what I could find in the OSHA regs on lift trucks last year - maybe July or August, and don't recall seeing anything about having an operators manual on the truck. I'd guess it's literally just general operating procedures, not necessarily machine specific, but I'd hate to be wrong.

Anyone shed some light for me? Thanks-

In my days with Clark, there was a pretty generic, small booklet attached to a plastic cord that was stored in a pocket on the rear of the seat or on a standup in a pouch on the door. IMO, that should suffice, as back in the Automatic days there was no manual available other than the big parts and service manual.I would call a new truck dealer and ask for one closest to the type of truck you have. I would send you one but I cleaned out my file drawers.

Dan,

Spent some time going through the materials our "industrial truck trainer" left, including a very poor photocopy of the Federal Register; 29 CFR Parts 1910, 1915, 1917, 1918, and 1926. A much more legible copy can be found on the web at:

http://aei-brookings.org/admin/authorpdfs/redirect-safely.php?fname=../pdffiles/1218-AB33.FR.pdf

I've done a word search on the text, and I don't see a requirement that the manual be on the truck, only that the operator be trained on the "operating instructions", which implies a manual exists. Likewise, the trainer insisted that the truck had to have an operator's log on it, and I don't see a requirement for that, either. However, there is a requirement that the truck be inspected before each shift it is in use, and the log will certainly provide proof that it was. Without intending to offer any advice here, I suspect that these are both strategies in excess of the OSHA requirements that have proven useful in keeping the inspector happy.

I was also was happy to find that there is no requirement for certification of the person doing the training, only that he be knowledgeable and competent in the use of the equipment. That means that we've been in compliance all these years, since we would only allow certain employees to operate the jeep, and only after they had been trained by another operator and checked out by myself. My problem would have been, if I would have been inspected, proving it, since I didn't have any written documentation. OSHA, like the rest of the Gov't, lives on paper.

Since I brought all this up, I'll close with a link to the OSHA directive on operator training, for anyone who would like to try to bring themselves into compliance.

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=DIRECTIVES&p_id=2277#General

I hope some find it useful. Thanks to all who commented.

Dennis

we just had a scheduled forklift training sesson and I was wondering why forklifts are under so much scrutiny, when we have a half dozen manlifts in the plant and they never have any instruction or maintenance schedule on them. anyone can get on one and use it without a license, not so with a forklift, around our facility anyway......

Over here, OH & S regulations require seat belts to be fitted to lift trucks, but it does not require you to wear them !!

Regards from Melbourne,Australia,

AAB

This may like FAA regs where some of the limitations and operating instructions can be placarded on the machine. I know the old Allis/Chalmers 4000lber and the little 2000lb Clark boxcar lift at the museum both had weight and balance charts placarded on the machine.

I'd find a manual for a similar lift, copy it, and change the name to your model, then reprint and attach.

That's just me tho'

Sean

Back