What's new
What's new

spindle air flow

moldmaker10

Aluminum
We got in a new vf2 and I just noticed air, a small amount of air flowing through the spindle even when a tool is in the spindle. Is this normal. Also there is like a set screw on the outside of the spindle (opposite of tool changer) and I noticed it blows small bubbles from slight air leakage.

Are you just hearing the air purge/lube for the spindle bearings/seals?

Most all newer machines use this - but some are definately louder than others!

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Yes, it's normal. I just got a new Mini Mill in my shop last month. Right after the tech left from installing it, I started to set it up for a job. I heard the air leaking, and called the HFO. They said it's normal, they do it to help blow chips and coolant away from the tool to prevent them from sticking on the tool taper.

air

my vf 2 does the same thing. you can hear the air escaping and see the bubbles coming from the set screw. Completely normal I was told by my vfo

mark

on the back of the machine near the lube tank is a small regulator it should be set to about 10 psi. That line comming out of it goes to the spindle to give the bearings a mixture or air and oil, cooling and lube. you can try turning it down if it's too loud but I wouldn't set it any lower than 10 psi
the noise is normal and varies from machine to machine

on the back of the machine near the lube tank is a small regulator it should be set to about 10 psi. That line comming out of it goes to the spindle to give the bearings a mixture or air and oil, cooling and lube. you can try turning it down if it's too loud but I wouldn't set it any lower than 10 psi
the noise is normal and varies from machine to machine

Pretty sure it should be at 15-17 PSI, actually.

Back