What's new
What's new

My New (to me) DMU 70

MCSF

Cast Iron
Delivered today. This has been a long process but well worth it. It was stuffed tightly in its former home. Thanks to Jerry Kennedy of Kennedy Equipment Moving for an absolutely amazing job of rigging and moving about in such tight quarters. I'll post some pics later.

MYDMU70.jpg

5 axis. Mill Plus - early version. The machine is a '98. Has 411 hours on the spindle. 3200 or so with power on. I am leaving for vacation next week so DMG won't be back until mid July to sort this thing out. It needs power to release the interlock so pics inside will have to wait.

I'm stoked.

Seeing the pic' reminded me of a passing question (it comes sometimes, then passes)...

Are the late model (DMU era) VMC's still using the same pull stud as the FP/NC's, or have they moved on to CAT or whatnot?

Sean

Are the late model (DMU era) VMC's still using the same pull stud as the FP/NC's, or have they moved on to CAT or whatnot?
I don't know the answer to that for DMU but Maho "moved on" to conventional pull studs about 1988 or so in all their CNC machines. My 1986 MH400e (CNC) Maho for example, shows a "pull stud" in the operators literature that appears similar (if not identical) to the Deckel standard. But my 1995 Maho MH400m (manual) machine has a conventional looking pull stud...short stubby one similar to what Fadal uses as I recall.

Luckily, at some point someone must have changed the internal stud pull grippers in my MH400e, as Deckel tooling won't fit in there... but the tooling for my MH400m fits perfectly...which is good cuz I have alot more of that than I do Deckel tooling.

The pull stud I am looking at now is a Command RC4E-0001

Part RC4E-0001
Number
Taper &
Flange V40
A .74
B .49
C .64
Angle
Thread
Size 5/8 - 11
Max Torque 85
(ft-lb)

When we were prepping it for movement it ran around very well. We'll see when I put the coals to it. DMG has to come back and do a full Prev Maint program as well as all the kinnematic checks.

Special thanks to Alfa as well. I leaned on his experience via PM's - I owe you one.

Q

When I bought pull studs for my DMU 60 (last year) they turned out to be the same as some ISO standard which turns out to be what at least some Mazak machines use. So Haimer lists them as "Mazak".

I'd say that's a "moved on" modern pull stud.

Soooo.... Did that end up being a government transfer from another facility? It seems awfully new, so I'm curious about its history (I've been out for roughly a month so I may have missed something).

Getting ready to make new Martian lander parts? :D
--Alan

Yep - it was hanging in the balance 'bout the time I got the DVD from you. Very informative I must say. It was transferred from the VA some 7.6 miles up the road. We put it in place and I was off on vacation so I won't get to play with it until I return.

I'll post pics and maybe a link to the best part of the vid at the VA when we had inches on a side to get it out from there.

If you climb up top where the door interlock is you should see a red button. Pushing this should manually release the door without power. Most of the time you can also reach this from inside by removing a plastic plug just in case you accidentally close the door while inside :eek:

Gary M.

Hmmm, now there is an interesting one... Why in the world does the VA need a machine like that? For that matter, does the VA really even do any machining? Let me guess... the janitor ordered a floor washer and this thing showed up instead! :D

Alan

If you climb up top where the door interlock is you should see a red button. Pushing this should manually release the door without power. Most of the time you can also reach this from inside by removing a plastic plug just in case you accidentally close the door while inside :eek:

Gary M.

I was up there poking about and did see a red and black button and I pushed on it to no avail. When the DMG tech returns I'll make sure I have the what to do when you get caught inside drill sorted.

The VA? They did bone and joint research. I think they had grander ideas when they bought the machine but upper management did not and shut down that side of the house.

It was a very long and drawn out ordeal with twists and turns that would make for a good novel - or so I suppose from all the goings on and shenanigans.

Well, I have no doubt that NASA Ames can use it. I remember seeing some of the stuff being turned out by the shops when I was working there. Much of it was quite a bit nicer than you get out of industry because the budgets are so much larger. At least the capabilities of the machine are likely to be fully utilized.

Great catch! Congratulations!
--Alan

Back