What's new
What's new

Kuhn-type dresser question

daryl bane

Titanium
I have one of those Visi-dress Kuhn type wheel dressers. I understand how to use it for dressing a radius, but the angle part makes me alittle queasy. Are you supposed to stick your hand in and manually move the crosslide/stylus?I just don't like the idea of putting my hand that close under a spinning wheel
especially while dressing. I am a novice so this interpretation is probably wrong.

Yep...Stick it right in there. (DO NOT WEAR GLOVES)

Concentration is a must. I grasp the slide or diamond between thumb and fore-finger brace my hand on the chuck to get smooth movement. Hold steady, light pressure up or down (while sliding) to eliminate play in the slide.

This is one area where being left-handed actually helps.

Make sure the slide travels freely so that the motion is smooth.

Angle setting can be checked with an indicator while the dresser is on a sine chuck.

Also, diamond needs to be aligned with pivot centerline to generate truly tangent radii.

Good luck,
Bob

Last edited:
Kuhn Dressers

Yes , Bob E. is right.... I use my thumb and index finger to move the slide.. Just make sure you release the correct slide stop on the slide, and be sure the table is locked. Once you get the hang of it, it is safe. I would not go back to any other type of dresser, after having a (Genuine) Kuhn, for the past 15 years.

This is really a safe operation as long as the table is locked and the dresser is secured. Bob E is correct in mentioning to centralize the diamond. Many miss this step and the result is a less accurate radii.

Split. I also like the opti-dress, except for the $ and that it is dedicated only to the one machine it is mounted to. Saying that I have many customers who have each tool in there shop.

Pete Schmidt
Hermann Schmidt Co

I make an attachment for my tools that bolts into the vee block and operates the same as the Kuhn, but has a much wider size range. No need for a sine plate for an accurate angle. ;)

Mr. Newbould

I have used your dresser. Although I think it was the Imperial version.
Worked well.

I heard some gripes about having to crank the wheel up higher, but toolmakers will be toolmakers.

First thing we did when getting it in the shop is check it with Mr. Schmidt's sine chuck! This is one heckuva forum!!!

(It passed the inspection)

I'm enjoying your other thread about the development of your tools.

Bob

Mr. Newbould

I have used your dresser. Although I think it was the Imperial version.
Worked well.

I heard some gripes about having to crank the wheel up higher, but toolmakers will be toolmakers.

First thing we did when getting it in the shop is check it with Mr. Schmidt's sine chuck! This is one heckuva forum!!!

(It passed the inspection)

I'm enjoying your other thread about the development of your tools.

Bob

Was that the angle dresser, or the radius/tangent dresser?

I'm not aware of Imperial ever making the radius/tangent dresser attachment.

Glad you like my other thread. There is more to go in there. :)

It was just an angle dresser.
Had about a 4" long slide with vertical diamond at each end.
Probably purchased around 1995.
Also purchased a motorized 5C spinner/indexer with dead center and tailstock.
That was an absolute pleasure to use.

Bob

It was just an angle dresser.
Had about a 4" long slide with vertical diamond at each end.
Probably purchased around 1995.
Also purchased a motorized 5C spinner/indexer with dead center and tailstock.
That was an absolute pleasure to use.

Bob

Ahhh That's a different animal completely. To see my Radius/Tangent dresser, go here.

Back