What's new
What's new

Lapping carbide micrometer anvils?

apestate

Stainless
How is this done?

This is a skill I've been meaning to learn for awhile. All I know is that you need to use some lapping compound.

I've got a tesa 5 piece optical flat/parallel set for micrometers, so I'll be able to check my work.

I'm looking for high precision. If it's difficult, I'll probably send it to Long Island Indicator.

If it's difficult, I'll probably send it to Long Island Indicator.
Good idea.

The problem is not lapping. That's easy to learn.

The problem is keeping the surface square with the thimble axis. This must be held to extremely tight tolerance. Your optical flat enables you to measure errors in the millionths of an inch. That's the order of magnitude of the required accuracy.

The folks who do this kind of thing use a special jig or fixture to hold the lap perpendicular to the thimble.

- Leigh

how much material would they remove, typically?
As much as is needed to bring the face down to the lowest point.

If this amount is at all significant, it indicates that the tool has been abused and should be replaced. The error is probably the result of the frame being bent rather than abrasion. It takes an awful lot of use to remove .0001" from any point on a carbide face.

I bought my carbide-faced mics used 45 years ago, and they're still dead parallel. Of course, I don't use them to measure the thickness of grinding wheels or sand paper. :crazy: :eek:

- Leigh

Back