What's new
What's new

Machinist Podcast

LMAO :D I have been pondering RSS and podcasts of late, but still a bit fuzzy on what benefits either might have to members here. Thoughts ?

Moderator M

A few thoughts.
Archiving video footage of special machines would be a great thing on PM if server storage permits. Example- the thread now going in metrology regarding the LODTM lathe at Lawrence Livermore Labs. I am corresponding with a helpful gentleman at LL. It looks like the lathe has not operated in some time. No good video footage of machine in motion exists. This is a federal facility and my experience with such is that an unused item will be tagged for liquidation. Now, IMO, it would be a criminal act to part out this machine without quality still images and at least 5 minutes of motion footage. I am willing to travel to the site and carry out this process if authorization to do so may be obtained. Footage like this should be on your server. I may also post it on You Tube, but a permanent copy should be here. Closer to home- many spectacular restorations-Monarchs-Deckels-Hardinge-Euro- etc have been displayed on PM, frequently linked. After 2 years, a serious number of dead links exist. The dead link may have been preceded by a dead forum member. That is the point-the 80 year old expires and the Rivett 1030 he spent 5 years on disappears. Tragic. Pebble Beach concours quality machines posted on the forum should be permanently video archived.

Education There are merchandisers on the web selling educational exposure to metal working topics. Frequently overpriced and marginally helpful. I am educated here daily as I read posts. More specific videos might be a series on the various generations of drives found in the Monarch 10EE lathes from 1939 to present. My interest is multi axis grinding. I am retrofitting an 8 axis Walter T&C grinder. When complete, I hope to have video footage of endmills, etc with detailed drawings posted. Grinding custom tooling would make a good Podcast topic.
I have no idea if any of this has prospective commercial value but the web archiving needs seem significant as segments of industrial history continue to disappear.

jh

Back