What's new
What's new

Looking for Machine Shop Insurance - need advice

warner

Aluminum
Hello-
Perhaps this has been covered in previous posts, perhpaps not (a brief search did not reveal it). I represent a small machine shop here in the North East. We have had coverage until recently that was less than sufficient. Re recently re-wrote our policy with another agent to re-vamp our coverage and work with an agent that we thought would 'stay in touch' with our insurance needs on a regular basis (had not seen the previous agent for two years).
To continue with the situation, the policy was written and 'completed' on 9/21. To this day, I still do not have the policy in hand. I was told that it had errors and that we should have it soon. I also know for a fact that it has not been fixed as of today either.
Further, they sold me something that the carrier could not write - a lower deductable on machine break-down coverage than they could write. Yes, I had a claim only to discover the problem. Niether the carrier or agent is willing to make up the difference. To make an analogy; you buy a car with heated seats and you pay for the car only to find out that the car is not available with that option and you receive no monetary compensation for it. Now, the premuim was not refunded or amended to have a higher deductable even though that is all they will write.
The long of the short of this is that I am currently looking for another agent and carrier that caters to machine shops. Do any of you have any reccomendations for such a combination that writes Nation wide or NH specifically? I called a couple that I found on the net, but they don't write here. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

Last edited:
Contact your state department of insurance or state attorney general's office re the agent writing and collecting for coverage that he can't get underwriting for. If NH is anythng like NC in how they deal with stuff like this, you'll have either a refund or a policy with the coverages he sold you, REAL FAST. Regardless of where you happen to be, if insurance agents don't know anything else, they all know the state can put them out of business in a heartbeat, and this is particularly so in the case of selling things they can't deliver.

Several people have mentioned Sentry in the past here, and seem satisfied. But, insurance companies are licensed to operate in specific states, so whether or not they write in NH is something you'd have to check on to know for sure.

Back