What's new
What's new

cylindrical grinding question

todd goff

Hot Rolled
I was wondering if it is possible to grind tapers on a brown and sharpe cylindrical grinder. I don't know what model that it is right off as this is a deal where I am going to look at one on Saturday. The guy said that it will accomodate a shaft about 36" and I am unsure of the diameter. It's one of these deals where it has sat for a while and he said he never had put it under power. One other question that I have is does anyone have an approximate weight of the machine? I know it's hard to tell without knowing the model # but a guesstimate will work just fine.

cylindrical grinder

Hey guys, sorry to not have gotten back to everyone sooner. John, I called the guy back about the grinder and was told that it would do a piece about 30" in length and weighs about 3000 lbs. I do know that it is a brown and sharpe and it came from a tractor repair shop that went out of business. I asked him again if he could give me a model # but he said that he couldn't find one. I am going on Sunday to look at it (he is about 110 miles away from me) and will probably wind up getting it. I figure that it is worth what he is asking for it (250 bucks). I'm sorry that I can't find out any info. on the grinder, but just out of curiousity, does anyone have an idea of what model # that it could possibly be given the dimensions of it? I will let everyone know on Sunday what model it is, but I am really curious in the meantime.

First thing Todd, there are PLAIN and then there are UNIVERSAL cylindrical grinders. An old #3 Universal would easily take 30" BTC. PLAINS are big heavy jobs. Universals are lighter, handier and often have provision for internal grinding. Here is my #4 Universal from 1947. Takes 14 X 60.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v337/johnoder/BS%204%20Grinder/

There are ALSO Universal and Tool grinders, like the B&S #13. These will do some cylindrical grinding, and if they are well equipped can do tool and cutter grinding. Anything that the grinding wheel GOES UP AND DOWN on like this is mostly a T&C grinder.

John Oder

cylindrical grinder

Just wanted to give everyone an update on the grinder. I went and looked at it today and it does have a swivel head on it. It isn't quite as colossal as I expected, but oh well. I did finally find a model # on it too. It was cast midway in the base and it said # 1. It appears to be complete, but I don't really know. I couldn't find a serial number as I was in a hurry (about 130 mile drive one way). Anyway, I wound up paying the guy for it and will be getting it soon (what does 250 bucks buy nowadays?) I am excited about getting it and she does look rough ; needs some paint and 2 small cast iron pieces need welding. I did bring one of the centers home with me and can post some pics if anyone is interested in seeing them. This machine apparently is very old as it has flat drive belts on it.

#1 B&S Universal is a neat old machine. Have parts book that can be scanned, but it covers all of them up to #4.

A #1 swings about 10"

John Oder

Back