What's new
What's new

mit or zeiss cmm ??

peterbb

Plastic
We are currently looking at a new CMM and are trying to decide which brand to go with. I have talked with both sales people and they each have advantages, but I am concerned with the delivery of the mitutoyo at 12 weeks because they have to ship directly from Japan after they get approval from the government. Does anybody have recent experience with purchasing a mitutoyo CMM?

Peter,

Less than 7 years ago when I hired into the factory QC lab we had 2 Zeis CMMs and 2 Mit CMMs. Now we have 10 Mits and no Zeis'. I wasn't around to run the Zeis cmms (they had been moved to another plant across the street already) but the people who did said the programming was unnecesesarily complicated. I suspect though that it had more to do with being a Japanese owned company who now is 99% Mit at all levels of measuring equipment than programming. The other excuse for getting rid of them was that Zeis support was very bad, hard to get service on the machines themselves.

I guess you won't have much trouble getting a Mit CMM in Canada, we can't get another for a couple of years yet in the USA. My company would love to have another one. 12 weeks sounds great. -Mike

I'm just curious at what models you are comparing? Other than your concern on the delivery time, I've been through this exact situation. About 5 years ago I directly compared a Mitutoyo Legex to a Zeiss Prismo. These are high end models, not the stuff you find in most shops.

So, what are you thinking about?

WE just had a meeting today and decided to get the the Crysta Apex 776 cnc cmm. main reason other than cost and delivery is the fact that our main customer has a mit cmm and there would be an available source of ready made programs and supprort. I will post some pics when it is delivered. we are currently adding 9000sq ft to our building so there should be some more equipment in the near future. thanks foe your help

Peter

Yo'll be happy with your purchase. Really either the Zeiss or the Mitutoyo is a good choice.

Just take advantage of the training and get to know your cmm software. What probe choices did you make? Did you get a rack?

Mark Boucher

Back