What's new
What's new

Maho 600w

Leon Mertens

Plastic
I'm want to buy a new mil for my home shop.

Now I can buy a maho 600w with heidenhain tnc 425.

The picture below is the same machine were i am looking for.

36022-Deckel-Maho-MH600W_we.jpg

It's standing in a workshop and only used for some plastic products, but they are injected molded now in china. The machine is standing still for the last year.
The seller does have the machine for 3 years and what the machine has done before is unknown.

The machine looks really nice, outside and inside, table nice and clean. Well maintaned.
Did get every year a service from specialized company.
I looked at the power-up time and this is about 15.000 hrs.
Couldn't find the building year on first sight but will be between 1995 and 1998 (i guess)
It has a 16-tool changer, handweel, about 40 toolholders.
Hydraulic machine vise.

I've asked the seller some technical questions, but the seller couldn't answer because milling is not his core business.

My main question is or i can expand it in the future with a 4-th axis, it doesn't has to be a rotary table, but just a 4-th axis with i can put on the fixed table. Do I have to buy extra servo amplifiers. What are the costs of a 4-th axis fixutere including installation (approximatly)

Are the manual rotary and tilting tables for this machine rare, or are these available in the machine market.

What is fair price for the machine for european market. What i have seen is that the machine costs approximatly between 30.000 an 40.000 USD depending of de condition

I read some were on this forum that W stands for Workshop
And that the C stands for comprehensive.
What are the main differences between the maho600w and maho 600c of this buildig year.

I will go back to the machine to measure the geometric conditions of the machine

A lot of questions, i hope somebody can give me some advise.

Wow...that is a surprising machine. I say surprising because the W line were supposed to be the most "basic" of the later Maho's, with limited CNC controls and no tool changer.

And yet that one appears to be outfitted with full blown CNC control and tool changer. This would make it equipped more a C than a W model...with one exception....the C machines from about 1990 forward had the programmable swiveling vertical head and the W machines retained the standard bolt on vertical head. I'm guessing that one in the picture is about 1994-5 vintage, but unlike yours is equipped with Phillips 532 control. Can't say which control is "better" function wise but the Heidenhain would be better from a 'factory support' standpoint.

Re 4th axis, yes can be added if the Heidenhain control can drive more than 3 axis. The Phillips 532 can drive at least 5 axis, but I'm not familiar with that Heidenhain model. You will of course need the servo drive unit and wiring to go along with the rotary table but the control will recognize the 4th axis just by changing a couple of parameters.

Fair price I can't say because I've never seen a W this new and this well equipped come up for sale in the USA before. But $30-40,000 sounds reasonable to me all things considered. Of course now you are going to tell us you can buy it for $5,000 just to make us feel sick aren't you ? ;)

Thanks for the quick reply

The machine on the picture is not the machine i want to buy, but it's identical.
I didn't take pictures at the seller. I will visit the seller on a short base of time and then i will take good pictures of it.

No i can't buy the machine for $5.000, i hope it was. But the seller bought the machine for about $45.000 for 3 years ago, and bought a lot of tool and workholding equipment, so he don't want to sell it for a bargon.

I need a reliable machine, and i'm willing to pay something more than a machine which stands on a internet auction. And sometimes you lucky with internet auctions, but i need a good and reliable mill in a short period of time. With this machine i know a little bit of the history of the machine. I think when i measure the geometric condition of the machine i have a good base view what the machine has done in the past. I think it's also hard to find a machine with that less power-up time at this building year. Most of the machines i looked for had between 45.000 and 60.000 hrs on the clock. The best was if it has come from a school or university, but they are rare and can't wait that long till it comes by.

Also is the control in my language, which will make it easy to learn. Not familair with heidenhain yet. Only with iso, fadal and haas. (but fadal and haas are not my favorit machines)

Are the rotaty and tilting tables rare for these machines, i didn't look if the machines has t-slots. It was nice if i could mount such a table with encoder en hydraulic clamping on the machine.

Are the rotaty and tilting tables rare for these machines, i didn't look if the machines has t-slots. It was nice if i could mount such a table with encoder en hydraulic clamping on the machine.
The universal tables are pretty rare on the 600 size machines and extremely rare to find one for sale seperate from the machine. The NC rotary table is less rare but still not many come up for sale here. But where you are I would think not so rare.

Your machine does not have Tee slots for the table mount...but it doesn't need them...all the tables for that size machine will fit the bolt pattern.

FWIW, I have a 4th axis NC rotary table from a 1988 MH600e I would consider selling. Maho Doctor has a 600 NC rotary table on (USA) eBay right now...but his table is missing the encoder and the drives so it would cost quite a bit of $$ to get it to a usable situation.

Back