What's new
What's new

Thomas.net Websites?

Ox

Diamond
Just about pnied this into the other web thread - but didn't seem to fit well, so:

Thomas is trying to git me to pony up for their website build/host services.

Choices are:

A) $4900 to build and $2000 to host/anual

B) $2000 to build and $400 to host/anual

Choice A is just not going to happen. I don't need to pop up on everybodys search. Good grief - I have other things to doo than answer the phone all day - even tho all the hangups lately don't understand that....

I have a kid that is planning on going to skewl for 'putors this yr. Seems he should be able to build a site eh?

I would assume that I have access to free page hosting on my verizon account? But what will that git me on a search engine?

I usta have an account on mfg.com and I always did give them credit for their hosting. I came up as #1 on a Google search back then! That was on a page that MFG created as part of the service. So now I have nothing website related. I am already on Thomas.net tho.

Experiences?

------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Unless you plan a very complex website, those costs are VERY high.

SWMBO and I build and host websites. Here are two samples. She does most of the work, I help with some of the graphics. :D (sample1 The artist insisted on this background even though we find the text in some areas almost impossible to read) (sample2)

Her setup charges for comparable sites would be in the $500 range with hosting (no changes) at $20/month. Changes can be made on a per change charge according to how complex the change would be.

Depending on what your kid takes re: puters, he could eventually do it with the right programs.

You can get free hosting different places if you will tolerate other links and ads being placed on your site.

Do it yourself Ox, it's easy!

Hey Ox........building your own website really isn't all that difficult. Most web hosting sites have a simple point and click build feature where they offer you different templates to chose from. You simply add your text and upload any graphics to place where outlined in the template. My web hosting company is DNSWH.com.

http://www.dnswh.com/

They only charge something $20.00 a year, cheaper if you pay for more years one lump sum, and though it is an ad driven hosting company, for just a few bucks more per year you can have your site ad free. I've used them for something like nine years now and never had a problem. Like you I used mfg.com and to this day am still a member for over two years now. The $4,500.00 per year I pay always pays for itself many times over with a steady stream of new customers from not just their site because I hardly ever quote from it, but also buyers finding me on the internet because my site almost always pops up on the first page, (ex: "Machine Shops Massachusetts") my company is approx. the 5th one down. So give it a shot......I knew nothing about building my own site, and though it may not be as glamorous or eye catching as a lot of the other machine shop sites, it certainly has been a great source of additional income over the years.

Best Regards,
Russ

I did several hours of research on webhosting and domain names. I found a company the gives you a great rate and plenty of space.

www.3ix.com

I went with their plan for $1.00 per month. That plan did not sound like much space untill I started talking to a friend. His website only uses about 25% of that amount of space.

His site is www.spoonertrainride.com

Unless you plan on having more pics and info than he does, you probably could use a bigger plan. My site uses almost none of the space, but also has plenty of info on it.

www.toppermachine.com

They also give you a generic site builder that is very easy to use. Check them out and do your research before deciding on one.

Good luck,
Josh Topper

what is ironic is that the Thomas Registry was like the first internet. Comprehensive information, cross refereneced etc. 20 years ago everyone had to have a heavy duty shelf to support their 200 lbs of books.

Back