What's new
What's new

Best Coaxial Indicator

petriej

Plastic
I hate to use the work best - everyone has their best. I should have said most accurate.

I sweep in tool holders on a four axis lathe quite abit and use either a dial test indicator or a coaxial indicator. The coaxial is much more convenient and I have been told by some that gravity will have more of an effect on the test indicator over the coaxial. I've seen this to a degree when verifying location with a coaxial after first sweeping the holder in with a test indicator.

The test indicators that I use are either a Starrett 711, or a B&S BesTest - both in .0001 graduations.

I've used an SPI and it felt fairly nice, and repeated, but graduations were .0005 (don't know what actual repeatability was rated at). The problem is that I need more accuracy than that.

All in all, I'm looking for a coaxial that has accuracy in the +-.0001 range. Anyone know of anything out there.

Thank you,

J

Tesa makes a 0.00005" digital test indicator. IP-65 protected too,

I agree, been using TESA in .0001 and .00005 graduations. I think there's an instruction too on how to correct or avoid sine/parallax error whenever you to need to tilt the stylus during critical indications of a surface.

Do the dial graduations on a typical Blake pattern co-ax really mean anything? Wouldn't the actual diplacement be magnified or reduced according to the length of the probe used?

Blake Coaxial Error

"Do the dial graduations on a typical Blake pattern co-ax really mean anything? Wouldn't the actual diplacement be magnified or reduced according to the length of the probe used?[/QUOTE]"

This is from Blake.

Attachments

• Blake values.jpg
    Blake values.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 3,504
Last edited:
Also from Blake is the fact that it is for relative measurement ONLY. They state specifically that you should not use it to take any direct measurements.

Tools

I hate to use the work best - everyone has their best. I should have said most accurate.

I sweep in tool holders on a four axis lathe quite abit and use either a dial test indicator or a coaxial indicator. The coaxial is much more convenient and I have been told by some that gravity will have more of an effect on the test indicator over the coaxial. I've seen this to a degree when verifying location with a coaxial after first sweeping the holder in with a test indicator.

The test indicators that I use are either a Starrett 711, or a B&S BesTest - both in .0001 graduations.

I've used an SPI and it felt fairly nice, and repeated, but graduations were .0005 (don't know what actual repeatability was rated at). The problem is that I need more accuracy than that.

All in all, I'm looking for a coaxial that has accuracy in the +-.0001 range. Anyone know of anything out there.

Thank you,

J
I'm from the UK don't really know what a coaxial is
The best DTI for use on machines is the Swiss Interapid (Tesa or B & S), have spent all my life working to Jig boring tolerances and have never needed 0.0001" or 0.002 mm dials, this is my opinion they have too small a range, the stylus is too short, and they bounce and vibrate about with their readings
I can read a 0.0005" to a tenth with no problem and 0.0002 is only 0.0001 actual, and on machines always purchased the small dials, they have a good length stylus and a 0.060 range and the bodys are machined out of a casting
The stylus is exactly on the C/L of the swiveling spigot which has a nice range you can pick an edge up with no problems the only DTI you can do this easily
When I introduced the first one, nobody used the others and there was always a que so had to get everybody one
They do vertical and horizontal dials, also a stylus 1.625 long reading 0.0005 so you can check deep into small holes
But they are expensive, so throw away your probes, indicators are far more accurate
These are the best in world used them since 1961
Happy clocking, is what we call indicating in the UK

I'm from the UK don't really know what a coaxial is
The best DTI for use on machines is the Swiss Interapid (Tesa or B & S), have spent all my life working to Jig boring tolerances and have never needed 0.0001" or 0.002 mm dials, this is my opinion they have too small a range, the stylus is too short, and they bounce and vibrate about with their readings
I can read a 0.0005" to a tenth with no problem and 0.0002 is only 0.0001 actual, and on machines always purchased the small dials, they have a good length stylus and a 0.060 range and the bodys are machined out of a casting
The stylus is exactly on the C/L of the swiveling spigot which has a nice range you can pick an edge up with no problems the only DTI you can do this easily
When I introduced the first one, nobody used the others and there was always a que so had to get everybody one
They do vertical and horizontal dials, also a stylus 1.625 long reading 0.0005 so you can check deep into small holes
But they are expensive, so throw away your probes, indicators are far more accurate
These are the best in world used them since 1961
Happy clocking, is what we call indicating in the UK

Think I know what a coaxial is now
Purchased a couple but nobody really liked them
All indicating done horizontly is subject to gravity so not good if the device is heavy
Bore a hole on a horizontal jig borer then use a variety of indicators they all may read different due to gravity, on a vertical machine it does not matter
A horizontal dial Interapid may be ideal you can read the dial without a mirrow and they are very light
Get it to indicate 0 then move one slide 0.0002 indicate again 0.0004, you are halving the reading, 0.0005 is more than accurate enough and much faster than a 0.0001
Our 0.0001 indicators never really moved outside their boxes

Back