What's new
What's new

Chrome vs. Satin Chrome?

logan922

Aluminum
Hey guys. I have 2 starrett 98-8 levels that I bought a while back.

One has shiny chrome on the bubble cover, and is 1/4" longer OAL than the other one, while the second one is satin chrome and 8" long OAL. The knurling on the handles are different widths also. These seem to be the only differences in them.

I"ve done a search online, and can't find any info on the shiny chrome one. I looked at the history of Starrett tool co. and now they pretty much have outsourced all their work over the past 10 years or so.

I just want to figure out which one is better to keep. Were there ones that were made better during certain years? I know that they did a product recall in the 1990's after a federal investigation about faulty products. Do any of you guys have the shiny chrome in your collections?

Andy.

P.S. There has GOT to be a reason why the original owner had hung on to both of them. Maybe one for parts?

Last edited:
My guess is they are the same the chrome one is older . I have both also . I know from late 60`s on they were satin chrome because I bought one in 69 a 6inch satin chrome . The chrome one is a 8 inch and may be out of the 50`s are older.

I"ve done a search online, and can't find any info on the shiny chrome one. I looked at the history of Starrett tool co. and now they pretty much have outsourced all their work over the past 10 years or so.

Starrett still makes quite a bit of their products right here in the US, mostly at their plant right up the road from me in Athol MA. A friend of mine works in their Special Gage division at that HQ plant.

Hey guys. I have 2 starrett 98-8 levels that I bought a while back.

One has shiny chrome on the bubble cover, and is 1/4" longer OAL than the other one, while the second one is satin chrome and 8" long OAL. The knurling on the handles are different widths also. These seem to be the only differences in them.

I just want to figure out which one is better to keep. Were there ones that were made better during certain years? I know that they did a product recall in the 1990's after a federal investigation about faulty products. Do any of you guys have the shiny chrome in your collections?

Andy.

P.S. There has GOT to be a reason why the original owner had hung on to both of them. Maybe one for parts?

fwiw Starrett Satin chrome finishes began showing up in the No.28 1st edition catalog around 1985 on the #98 levels. The No 27 5th edition catalog from 1976 lists a chromium tube on the 98 series levels. Starrett "pioneered" the use of satin chrome in the mid 1950's, advertising it as "hard wearing" and resistant to rust, perspiration, stains etc. Satin chrome rules were introduced in the 1st Edition catalog #27 , 1955.

Best guess is that they begin using satin chrome on the 98 levels for economical, and more wear resistant reasons...and as the new old chromium #98 parts used up and sold.

Why 2 levels...who knows? I have doubles of lots of tools...sometimes triples. It if saves me a trip across the workshop, or 5-10 minutes searching for a tool...it's well worth the cost to have backups...not to mention multiple tooling for multiple workstations...

Another reason for 2 levels: to easily check things like twist in a bed or to level in both x and y directions. While the Starrett level you have is far more sensitive than a carpenter's level, it should be noted that you'll likely want a true precision level for leveling the lathe. So, instead of fretting about keeping two 98 series levels, it's time to think about acquiring one or two precision levels :)

Back