What's new
What's new

Battery lifespan in digital tools......UGH!

MJBOLSTER

Plastic
Our inspection area has gone to alot of electronic digital tools with data output directly to excel. Problem is that our tools eat batteries at an unnacceptable rate. Most of the tools have "auto shutoff" and the discharge rate is across all brands and tool types seems consistant. Does anyone here have a clue to ease our problem short of removing the button cells after each use? These batteries are often a chore to change- screw on covers, etc. I would think that this is a big enough issue for the industry to take on.
Maybe the folks who made my Chrysler keyless entry remote will start making the tools I need and use!!!:crazy:

MJB

Search in general new and you will find lots of threads about the lower brand digital stuff eating the batteries. Gotta get the better Silver based batteries too, there a slightly higher voltage and in does make a diffrence, Ie SR44 not LR44

What brand, and how old?

Search in general new and you will find lots of threads about the lower brand digital stuff eating the batteries. Gotta get the better Silver based batteries too, there a slightly higher voltage and in does make a diffrence, Ie SR44 not LR44

I'll have to try top name brand batteries when I can locate them. Problem with working for the US Govt. "cheap" is supposed to mean "best". Can't wait to retire.:Yawn:
Most of our tools are Starrett and Mitutoyo with some Fowler, etc. Digital 6" calipers seem ok but everything else is use once then throw away. I even leave the tools in plain view to make sure the auto shut off is kicking in, where it's supposed to.
The batteries are silver oxide though not name brand.

MJB

Out of curiosity, I 'Googled': rechargeable button batteries
and got some links to li-ion cells and rechargers. Haven't used them, but they're out there.

It would be nice if the serial data connector (available on some of the units) had a power input/charging contact or two... that way, you could just leave it parked in the charging stand whenever it's not in use. A nice calculator-style solar cell would work, too.

Chip

Most of our digital measuring stuff is Mahr, Federal or Helios. Batteries last well over a year, some 2 years. This is in a 24/7 manufacturing environment most are used every 15 minutes or so for in process checks. We have literally thousands of these digital gauges so the experience with these gauges is expansive.

The starrett electronic calipers positively EAT batteries I have found.

The mitutoyo ones, are very very easy on them. Even if left on they seem
to last forever.

Jim

Not sure about Starrett digital stuff. All my Starrett gages are vernier/analog. I have a whole lot of digital Mitutoyo calipers and micrometers all with SPC output that I use regularly.

All the Mitty mics are 'auto-off' and that works. They don't lose zero or whatever setting either.
All the Mitty calipers I have are not 'auto-off' so I just leave them on. With good quality batteries they go 2-3 years being left on ALL the time. With cheap batteries about 1+ years.

I have one Mitty 6" (with SPC) that I bought new 26 years ago and it still works fine.

When using the SPC feature they are connected to a PC via USB adapter and cable. Doesn't seem to shorten the life of the batteries at all.

I think Starretts newer line of wireless SPC gaging is pretty neat and it monitors battery condition centrally. I bet it eats batteries though. It would be a very pricey thing to have to switch over so I won't. For a big production area I can see how it would be useful though. I think both Fowler and Mitutoyo make wireless SPC stuff now.

-DU-

I have seen some threads indicating that some digital measuring instruments are picky about batteries.

A Starrett 734 will play dead with a brand new battery, unless it is a particular brand:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showthread.php/starrett-aint-used-73348p3.html
In that particular case, though, I think it had to do with the variations in physical dimensions affecting electrical contact, rather than the electrical characteristics.

Depending on the design, an instrument may draw too much current and use up the battery, or it may cease to function due to the voltage drop far before the batteries rated capacity. Also, measuring instruments are frequently incremental devices and continuously read the position so they can tell if they have been moved so you don't have to reset zero every time they are turned on. So, they are always working whether the display is on or off so they need to be very frugal with power or they will eat batteries.

Different batteries have different initial voltages and different discharge curves.

"L" series manganese dioxide batteries are a poor substitute for an "S" series silver oxide battery. The L voltage starts lower and drops off faster. And some of the no-name batteries can be poor quality.

Old batteries may be half dead when you install them. Buying in bulk (more than you need over the next 6 months) may not be a good idea.

Dirty hands when changing the battery could have an impact due to slight electrical conductivity. Also, it is not unusual for batteries to have electrical contact problems. Taking the "dead" battery out and putting the same battery back in may fix the problem in some instances. This tends to be less of an issue with coin cells, but dirty hands could again be a problem.
That said, I don't worry about the cleanlyness of my hands when changing caliper battery unless they are obviously dirty and I get >1yr life.

If you have a digital multimeter, measure the voltage before you install the battery and when you replace it. The Energizer 357 I installed in my chinese caliper a week ago measured 1.570V today and the one I removed 1.044V. A 5.0000V (4.9997V when tested) reference measured 4.97V. Measure the current the instrument draws, if you can, but this can be tricky.

If you have an SPC cable connected, the micrometer may be using power up to drive the cable capacitance and circuitry on the other end, even when off.

http://www.davehylands.com/Machinist/Caliper-Batteries/

As an aside, that page also talks about the accuracy of the cheap chinese calipers. However, only a 1" gage was used. Accuracy is slightly lower over 100mm (metric) and 4" (inches). And no temperature tests were done, etc. But the results across a dozen or so units were consistent with published accuracy.

Unplug the cable

Try disconnecting the cable at the measuring instrument (not at the computer end) whenever it's not being used.

Auto-Off instruments are really ON all the time. They just turn off the display.

With the cable installed, the instrument may be talking to the computer continuously, even when it's "OFF", and that consumes battery power.

- Leigh

Back