What's new
What's new

Gages : Steel or Carbide?

Flute Maker

Cast Iron
Hi folks. We use a lot of Deltronic class X pins in the .0780" to .0958" range. I've just ordered some Vermont in carbide. Anyone out there use these, and why? We use them in process, during our instrument making, and they take a beating.
Thanks,
Payson

My initial reaction to your thread title was to question the additional costs of the carbide pins. I'm curious to know if they were worth the extra cost. How are these working out for you?

Hi Payson,

You have me curious also. My impression of wind instruments are rather soft materials and perhaps class z type tolerances. What kind of openings are you gaging with the pins and when you say they take a beating what do you mean? Do they wear out slowly or are they damaged in some other way (bent etc). I may be off base here assuming you are making flutes using these gage pins. Give us a little more information.

Regards,

Tom Lipton

If you are bending, denting or chipping them, carbide will be a waste of money. May even be worse. If it's just wear, then carbide is the way to go. We only use carbide if it is a wear item that will not be abused, dropped, or lost. RJT

Back