What's new
What's new

AUDIT:euro-yank cnc chimera

JHOLLAND1

Titanium
So what's an "Audit"? Well, if you're a brit you may well answer a cnc retrofit utilizing custom subframes and higher end controls.

http://www.auditcnc.com/afset.htm

So what's a chimera? click below
http://picasaweb.google.com/pulsenpal/AUDITCNC#5390433965451738690

In Greek mythology, the Chimera (Greek Χίμαιρα (Chímaira); Latin Chimaera) was a monstrous fire-breathing creature composed of parts of many animals. Well, what do you get when you mate an "audit" with a flint hard "yank"/ click below

http://picasaweb.google.com/pulsenpal/AUDITCNC#5390429761736434802

Yup- you get a chimera of somewhat greater rockwell number.

the story
20+ years ago navy facilities around Bremerton were hopping. The J&L lathe was likely used at the torpedo facility at Keyport. DOD spent close to $70K for the retrofit. A Siemens 810 control and brushed dc servos. I got machine 12 years ago and put it in storage in friends new shed. Well, after 12 years as a tool squatter, I got evicted. Years ago I pulled control and motors and placed stepper motors. Like the other machines, this will be a control test bed. This machine came with hydraulic bar feed- scrapped. However, I kept two short 3 inch diameter shafts and outboard chuck. When these are mounted in the casting on left side of headstock machine functionality should be enhanced with the 4.5/5 in spindle bore.
The retrofit came with the automatic turret pictured. Well. this will be replaced with big beefy KM tooling which will handle deep boring, etc more suitable for a machine this size.

If any reader, esp UK based has knowledge of the Audit firm, please contact me.

thanks

jh

We were discussing Audit attachments recently on here somewhere.

A Chimera was also a TVR sports car,usually seen parked on the back of breakdown wagons.

Mark, perhaps you were thinking of this thread:-
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=34578&highlight=audit+cnc
That colchester seen in the thread recently came up on uk ebay and luckily the guy was willing to part it out, I bought the audit system, controller, and spindle encoder.
Jackson, this may interest you, when I eventualy finish contracting work in Iraq and return to Blighty, I am going to remove the saddle and attach the audit to my Cazeneuve 590, im fully expecting to have to competly rebuild it, and will look into the possability of using a new controller, be it fanuc, siemens, prototrak, or a new osai controller. This lathe will then be used purely for re-barreling/gunsmithing work, which it should be perfect for= a short headstock for short barrels, 2in spindle bore, rigid and heavy construction, and a tailstock that will repeat. When I eventualy get around to doing it, I will post my progress.

KB

Kevin
many thanks for a helpful post. the heaviness of construction of the Audit system is impressive- the base plate is 60 mm on my J&L lathe. This machine had a siemens 810 control which I was unwilling to spend the anticipated several thousand on for what repair may have been needed. I am just finishing converting the duplomatic 8 position turret to infinite position rotary with 3 and 4 jaw chucks but it will not go back on lathe. everything inside turret required od grinding for this conversion but it will be rigid. I will look forward to reading your retrofit progress.
if you plan on producing ordnance on your 590 Caz you will likely land a contract from the US Defense Dept.
jh

Last edited:
Jackson
I dont plan on producing ordanace or anything on mass, just simply a re-barreling service for precision rifles, benchrest/ft rifle/target, and of course my own:), I am some time off from this though, I am in the process of looking for a new house, and like you, my old workshop is effectivley storage, im estimating at least 18 months before i can make a start, Im just iching to jump all over the Caz and start the retrofit.
Interesting in what you are doing with the turret, are you simply converting it to use as a 4th axis for a mill or something?

KB

FWIW, can't remember the manuf name now, but one of the last UK holdouts still making large manual engine lathes was displaying at IMTS back about 1990 or so...and he had one lathe outfitted with Audit CNC control. Or maybe he was displaying the lathe and controls seperately...can't remember now. Regardless, I still have the Audit brochure if anyone needs info on that control.

Hi Milacron

I,d be interested in seeing anything from that brochure you have, especially pics of how the audit attaches to the machine if there are any? anything would be better than audits own website! could the brochure be uploaded here?

Milacron- thanks for retrieval of trade literature on the Audit hardware. The company claims to have retrofit 800 or more machines but in USA they must be scarce.

Kevin
a few years a low time Duplomatic would have sold quickly for a decent sum-not now. So conversion to a rotary table for 4th axis seemed to make sense. much more work than I expected. I will shoot some pics of the innards soon. Currently shop temp is between 25 and 30 farenheit . about the only machines safe to run are hand drill and table saw. warming trend on the way though
Kevin- is Audit still a viable company? their website appears to have deep sixed long ago

j

duplomatic manual
http://www.scribd.com/doc/22636513/DUPLOMATIC-TURRET-1

Yes audit is still going, but as far as I know they no longer make the audit just offer refurbished units and controller upgrades, surely this cannot keep them busy, so im assuming they must do other things, but what i dont know.

KB

I think there was a falling out amongst the Audit guys a few years back.Additionally there won`t be the demand for these units there was thirty years ago.
I believe the guys doing bottle moulds used them quite a bit to replace the old hydraulic tracers but the big use in the UK was oilfield threads.
Kevin,what`s wrong with the 810 and if you`re getting rid I might be interested in it for spares.
Mark.

Mark
Ive not picked up the audit yet, im still in Baghdad and wont collect it untill around the 27thish, I can only go off from what was said in the HSM thread where the last owner could not get it up and running. I'll keep in mind that you are interested should i get rid of it.
Cheers
Kev

J
Sadly i never knew him well enough for me to even be considered a friend, i only ever had a couple of brief chats when he came into our works, and as for moving house, ive no more reason to stay in Lancashire so im heading back to my roots in S. Wales.
Its a shame they had to sell Freds house, i would have thought it would have gone to somebody in the family at least!.

KB

being a turret lathe i don't suppose they kept the turret so centers or capstan tooling could be used? how long can they make these retrofits? it seems a waist of space to have a 10'+ lathe bed and only use 3' of it :confused: then again you could put a top on the end of the bed and use it as a work bench for the machine ;)

Back