What's new
What's new

Rivett Registry: the PSNS 1020S

JHOLLAND1

Titanium
On the edge of the forest in the land of big timber resides a precision family enterprise. It was my good fortune to visit today. As the door opened I greeted the host, Jim L and noted just behind Jim the unmistakable profile of a Rivett 1020S headstock.
here are the particulars
machine was recently obtained from Puget Sound Naval Shipyard
headstock spindle bearings were bad upon arrival--------$1200 replacement
some tooling was included
failure analysis maybe important for 1020S owners. In the photos below please note a copper tube with expanded end much like ladel. This tube fits into passage of headstock casting allowing passive lubrication of spindle bearings. When Jim initally lifted headstock cover he noted a displaced holding bracket with the end result of tube pull out from bearing housing. Over years? no lube to spindle bearings and perhaps a reason for the sale.
The collecting end of this tube fills with splash lube from gear train. No pressure system is noted. All bearings were New Departure. Note the gummy goo around the bearing cage- looks like grease but only light lube oil is in headstock.
Special request for Brett or knowledgeable- the contact wheel for the spindle tach is badly worn and unreliable. Jim would appreciate comments on restoration/replacement.

http://picasaweb.google.com/pulsenpal/PSNSRIVETT#5397353728391770866

jh

In photo 21, what is the gear shown at the bottom of the drive plate?

I notice the drive plate is bolted solid. The factory version is rubber mounted on Lord Chan-L mounts.

Please tell Jim the waylube in the carrage is recirculating and unfiltered, and needs changed regularly.

Greetings gbent
I think the gear and driver at bottom of 21 is the motor drive which changes pitch of the two reeves sheaves. I got a pretty good look at Brett's 1020s and a posted a short video of this mechanism. On the psns machine the front cover plate was on which blocked the view. Thanks for the info about carriage lube.

jh

Jackson. Nice machine! I noticed something fairly important was not visible in the pictures in that the "spoon" that catches oil for the front spindle bearings is missing the wool? filter I have seen in all others 1020s machines.
My tach is gear drive so I have no idea on how the friction drive works, only that Rivett saw to it to replace it wit gear drive at some point.

Brett

Back