What's new
What's new

Y axis fault 162

D. Rey

Titanium
Machine is an 06 VF-2

Had a tech out today to install a 5th axis card and update my software to latest version.

Everything was working fine when he left was running my parts, did so for another hour or so then...y axis fault in the middle of the part.

I can't get the machine to move, I've tried re starting several times I can't get the servos to energize.

Obviously this has to happen on a Friday so I'm down all weekend.

Y axis card shows the red fault light.

Anything I can try before I call to get the tech out again on Monday? What are the odds the Y axis card would blow today...geeze...

Friday afternoon or the day before a Holiday when you need to run the machine...without fail you'll need to deal with service. I thought I was the only one...

I have had that alarm a few times...once I found the motor was grounding out...Haas phone tech thought I needed a motor, but told me I could look for a bad lead...sure enough I found a wire that looked burnt/frayed at the motor...not really sure as it was years ago, but I cut it out and soldered in a new lead and was back in business.

Thats the good news...other times I have had a bad cable, they go on the "Y Axis " due to the constant motion and rubbing each time the axis is moved. Other times it has been the motor, while yet other times the card.

From what I recall, check the Axis connections at the cabinet, you can ohm out the motor and cable. If you find a problem, try to trace it. You can check the card thru another axis, (Swapping the big connectors going to the electrical cabinet) you have to disable the axis not connected otherwise you'll get an alarm. I wouldn't hook the axis in question to another card as I think a short could blow the card.

Good luck, hopefully your HFO is not closed fro Presidents Day...

How does one get at the Y axis motor?

Most direct route seems to be removing the lube system at the back as well as all of the air lines to access the hole where it is.

Any easier way?

Skip what I said the about the cables going on the Y axis...it's the X axis that gets all the motion. Still an item to check.

Yeah that is one pain in the butt motor to deal with...

I pulled the front Y axis way cover did not see anything amiss, the home switch is clean as a whistle.

HFO is open today and they are supposed to be coming out at 1pm ish to see if they can get me running again, red fault light on Y makes me think I'm going to get a new drive.

I'll post up what the problem was soon as I know.

Electrical issues drive me nuts. I was OCDing over it all weekend.

Well thankfully the Haas tech was able to make it out today and as expected the Y axis drive decided to die.

That was replaced, two hrs travel and work + 5 hundred something with the core exchange.

All fixed and back up and running.

Dave

Back