What's new
What's new

Bearing Replacement X-axis

wganders

Plastic
I have a 1999 VF-3 and I need to replace the X-axis bearing pack. Can anyone give me a step-by-step process to make this happen. Also, what are the issues or special equipment that I may need. I bought this machine at an auction and don't have any documentation for it.

Thanks,
Wganders

Bad Bearing Pack

We had a technician come out, he pulled the way covers back and was able to rotate the ballscrew by hand and it was very loose. Does that sound kosher? Also, we're getting a lot of vibration when we take a heavy cut. Light cuts no problem. Spindle is OK. The only other thing I can think of would be the clamping pressure on the pallet.

I am not sure what "bearing pack" you are referring to but if we are talking thrust bearings, you need to remove the LH waycover, remove the servo motor, and remove the bearings. Not too hard on the X. Just keep in mind those are precision bearings anything in them at all and you can kiss the life of them goodby. Install them like a surgeon and you should be fine.

Thrust bearings!

Hello,

Haas no longer sells the bearings and will not give out how much tention on them. If you do not know how to tention them correctly it would be a wast of time. You have to buy the pack, it was not too bad, if I remember $300 or so. Easy fix, you can do it in a couple of hours. Get yourself a nice extinsion and a set of allen sockets for removing the motor.
Actually the "thrust" bearing is on the other side, that is just one bearing, real easy to replace.

Good Luck!

LandM1

Linear Rails/Bearings

Well, thanks for the replies! But, we've come to the conclusion that its not the bearings on the X-axis ballscrew, rather, the Y-axis linear rails/bearings are shot (thumpity-thump).

Does anyone think this can be repaired in-house? The Y-axis on a VF-3 is pretty cramped.

I know it costs about $1350 for parts (after exchange) but its the labor that we can't afford.

Quite obviously your skill set will determine if you can do it or not. Having damn near rebuilt a Haas from head to toe, I will say that I just get F*&^&*& irritated to try and reach stuff because they did not build the machines to come apart... 1 hr to remove a bolt that should take 30 seconds...

Precision and cleanliness is key and that is a balancing act when you are working in muck and chips.

So, how do you "know" the Y rails are done? You have to uncouple the Y axis ballscrew under the table to actually know if they have a noise. Of course if visual inspection of the rails shows huge gouges in the races, That would be an issue.

Here is my recommendation, Slide back the X ways, slide back from front Y way and remove, unbolt one of the front trucks and slide it back on the rail so you can play with it independent of the table, see how much force it takes to move it on the rail, slide the truck off the rail and inspect "carefully"!!

Back