What's new
What's new

Motoman Robot: Can the 1sv and 2sv servopacks be swapped?

llf264

Cast Iron
On a Motoman ERC controlled robot, the two servopacks look identical from initial inspection.

Does anyone know which boards are interchangable? Can the back board from one, be placed in the back board slot in the other?

Assuming identical robots, (both are K6sb), can the front boards be swapped?

Alarm 0853 isn't listed in any of the manuals that I have.
Alarm 1290 looks easy enough to solve if I can get the servopack figured out.

In most servo assemblies the actual servo amp is just a dumb terminal that is controlled by a master cpu, and in most cases yes you can swap the unit if it is the same. Look and the model numbers and compare them, if they are the same you can exchange them to see if your problem follows your amplifier.

JC Chamberlin III
Precision Electric Inc.

one of these is not like the other one

Good points JC. The area of detail that I am trying to get to is to determine which parts are the same and which are different at the board level. 1SV and 2SV have different part numbers, which is to be expected as each servopack (1SV control S, L, U axis and 2SV control R, B, T axis) control motors of different sizes. Actually, several of the motors are identical (or are they really? is there a small difference in the encoders?) so I am hoping that their servopack front and rear cards will be the same so that I can swap those.

Does anyone know which components are housed in the front side board, and which are housed in the back side board? And further, if even more of those boards are compatible with each other even if the motors that they control are a little different. I have seen the R and either B or T axis motors swapped on some other peoples ERC's and apparently they worked ok.... this leads me to believe that maybe S and L and U are larger and hence have a greater momentum to control, but is it the front or the rear board that is the driver and amplifier? or am I using the incorrect terms?

Summary:
The basic concept of "if they are the same, then you can swap them" is pretty clear.... as the servopacks themselves 1SV and 2SV have different P/N's and control different sized motors, I need to do some more digging to find out WHICH boards in those similar servopacks are identical... or close enough to be switched. Anyone have any detailed insight into how these servopacks are built and organized?

Well more then likely the controller board/microprocessor board are probably the same but I cannot know for certain. If the numbers on the boards are the same then you could most likely change them. Usually if a controller is running a larger motor the power sections of these units will be different. It will have a larger IGBT and more capacitors in it. About the only board that possibly could be swapped is the controller board aka, regulator board aka, microprocessor board.

Hope this helps.

JC Chamberlin III
Precision Electric Inc.

Some yes... some no..

Well... it turns out that the back board on the 2SV servopack has a bad component on it somewhere. All other boards on that servopack are good as it is now cleared of all major errors...

Yaskawa has a very modular build schema it looks like. There really are not too many components that are different at the chip level and I'm aaaaaallmost convinced that 99% of it is jumper, dip, and potentiometer based as well.

Thanks to all who helped !!

Which ERC robot model does the CACR-TS555Z1SR9 (1SV servopack) come from?

It's like a combination of the "small" capacitor (S stands for small) from the K6 RBT servopack, and the "large capacity" of the K6 SLU servopack.

The K6sb ERC has the following designation on it's boards:
1SV servopack (large SLU axis motors) is marked TM555Z1....
2SV servopack (small RBT axis motors) is marked TS111Z1....
Per the manual: "M" = "Medium Capacitor" and "S" = "small capacitor". and 555 vs. 111 indicates it's "capacity". Whatever that is in refference to.

Now... I also have a different servopack in inventory CACR-TS555.
What models is that ERC servopack compatible with? A K10? RBT?

And just exactly happens if I pair the TS555 with the RBT motors on the K6 robot?

Some detail

Attached here I have shown the differences between the S and the M version of two servopacks of the same size. One being the TS555Z1 the other being the TM555Z1.

The "small" board designated with the S has a smaller circuit breaker (3 amp)and a smaller capacitor. The "medium" board designated with the M has a larger circuit breaker (10 amp) and a larger capacitor. All the other components on that board are listed the same and have identical ratings as far as I can tell. Their boards are pretty well detailed.

The third picture shows the back board of the servopack. The only difference that I can find is the (three) green components aligned vertically... they are made by Nana Electronics Co Japan... on the M servopack they are type MCA-20WP and the S servopack they are MCA-05WP. Does anyone know what their function is? I am asking because those three components on the other TS555 servopack that I have doesn't have the green covers on them so there is no part number marked on those to tell me if they are the same as the S111 or the M555 board. Remember, this servopack in question is a s555. So I am wondering if those three (one for each axis) components are tied to the S/M designation of a servopack or are they tied to the 111/555 designation of a servopack. Depending upon the answer to that, I am 90% of the way to being to determine which components of a servopack are interchangeable with each other, even when not 100% matching.

The last question I have is the three blocks underneath the back board... I don't think that they are heat sinks but can't find anyone yet who knows what those blocks underneath do. They are tied to UVW (the three phases going out to the motors) and an "N" and a "P". The "N" I assume is Neutral? What might the "P" be? The other side of the block is connected to some little chips. I'll take a picture tomorrow.

Once I have answers to those two parts of the puzzle, I'll be able to start swapping components around and give 'er a go.

Attachments

• S.jpg
    S.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 296
  • M.jpg
    M.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 358
  • Back board of 1SV M.jpg
    Back board of 1SV M.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 485
Not going to mess with soldered components...

I got a look at a similiar M555 board with the components that look like mine. The windings are different between the S and the M on the back board... Those green things are tied to the M/S size rating... so as those are soldered connections, I've decided not to try to swap them. That means that I have the unused CACR-TS555Z1 for trade. I also have a complete set of components from a dissasembled ERC control and robot that I need to trade parts from to get a good CACR-TM555Z1SP (or similiar).

Anyone interested in trading please let me know !!

So does anyone know of a source for rebuilding or replacing these servo packs? We keep having the r-b-t errors on our machine. It's been this way pretty much since we got the machine, and have replaced packs 4-5 times now. Would love to have a spare of each on the shelf to avoid downtime and would love to be able to keep the ones we have going for a few more years.

Thanks.

Back