What's new
What's new

What is the current state of used woodworking machinery market ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Still abysmal, or picking up some ?

Got a mid 90's SCMI R9 router with blown motor and need to decide whether to fix the motor or just scrap the whole deal. My impression is that even with good motor it might not bring 1,000 bucks, in which case fixing the motor would be a pretty iffy proposition.

Damn thing ran great for about 15 minutes after I bought it (3 years ago), quiet spindle too....but then BANG...something shorted out in the motor to the extent it broke the plastic electrical box on the motor and the terminal plate is poking out some. Kills me that it probably ran for a decade or more just fine but just happens to explode on me in the first 15 minutes :angry:

(and yes the voltage was correct.... I wonder if shifting sawdust during the move could have caused it somehow ?)

In watching IRS Auctions, I would say it picked up a tad, but still too many plants being shut down to expect much improvement for some time to come.

If that is a manual router, non-tilty table, decent shape, it would be lucky to get ~$800 (+/- $400) if it was still running and had some pins & collets.

On the chance that someone out there wants one, you might be better off offering it for $800 as is to start and taking less if you get any nibbles.

Last I needed to check a price, IRS kept completed auctions going back a couple years still up on their "calendar".

I have seen some spikes in recent auctions that really surprised me, but that sometimes means the insiders are rebuying the equipment they need. Still a lot of stuff going for next to nothing.

smt

For what it's worth, it's probably better that the motor went tits up for you, rather than 15 minutes after the new owner fired it up.

For what it's worth, it's probably better that the motor went tits up for you, rather than 15 minutes after the new owner fired it up.
FWIW, I didn't buy it to resell. But I know what you mean... I'd had instances where something went wrong with a CNC machine or CMM one day before it was to ship, when it ran or worked perfectly for weeks beforehand.

In which case I'm both cussing at the amazingly bad luck of that and the amazingly good luck of that ! I mean, it's astounding that out of all that time it just happens to screw up then, but OTOH, if it had to happen, better then than later, cuz at least I can fix it, whereas the customer might not.

Cal Ore, saw sharpening shop in Oregon, just auctioned off the equipment at about 10 - 20% of retail.

Housing starts were about 2 million annually in 2007 then dropped to about 500,000. Now edging back up. Real worries about a second housing crash now that stimulus money is over. Some pick up recently in supply chain activity but mostly due to inventory rebuilding.

Cabinet shops still down by as much as 60% or more from 2007.

The mills that are left are running about half of where they were.

Back