What's new
What's new

Help picking options for a TM-2P

Jon Bohlander

Stainless
I am considering a Haas toolroom mill and am trying to figure out which options I need while still keeping the price low. Owners of tool room mills, what do you wish you had gotten, don't use, or can't live without?

So far my essentials:

20-tool tool changer
jog handle
rigid tap

Handy but not sure if I have to have:

Programmable coolant
Chip auger-if they are set up like the mini-mills that I've run it is possible to just scrap the chips out with a chip hook. PITA but $2400 is a lot
Macros
Rotation & Scaling

Don't know if I really need or not:

Early power failure detection
Expanded memory-I plan on writing programs on Notepad and transferring wiht a jump drive

TIA, Jon

I am considering a Haas toolroom mill and am trying to figure out which options I need while still keeping the price low. Owners of tool room mills, what do you wish you had gotten, don't use, or can't live without?

So far my essentials:

20-tool tool changer
jog handle
rigid tap

Handy but not sure if I have to have:

Programmable coolant
Chip auger-if they are set up like the mini-mills that I've run it is possible to just scrap the chips out with a chip hook. PITA but $2400 is a lot
Macros
Rotation & Scaling

Don't know if I really need or not:

Early power failure detection
Expanded memory-I plan on writing programs on Notepad and transferring wiht a jump drive

TIA, Jon

I would not mess with a PCOOL. Get the real coolant pump (3/4HP).
Probe/Toolsetter
RTAP
20 Tool Carosel
??4th axis wire??

Pass on the Jog Handle......you can always plug it in later.

Auger is your call....TM really isn't a super hogging machine anyway.

Definantly put some money in some good software such as HSMworks.

Lots of ER16 toolholders.

Is a jump drive the same as a thumb drive? If so, you don't need any more memory than is stock. You can run programs directly off the thumb drive, but cannot edit them at the machine unless they are transferred to memory. Besides, how large a program are you really willing to hand-write?

Besides, how large a program are you really willing to hand-write?

Ahh, I am willing to and have written fairly long programs the hard way just because all I have ever used is Jon-CAM.;) Seriously, that is good to know as I am planning to do basic 3-axis stuff. Yes, I meant thumb drive.

Behindpropellors,

I had dismissed the probe & 4th axis for the time being because they are handy but I can get by for now without them. I will go with the better coolant pump. I forgot to ask about that.

I guess I should add I have spent my career in small/in-house/old-school shops so I am used to doing things the hard way and am not trained up on some of the newer tech. I am trying to get started with the most bang for the buck and then starting investing in some of the big boy tools later on.

all I have ever used is Jon-CAM.;)
I guarantee that is better than Matt-Cam! Just so you know, the only limit for program size from a thumb drive is the thumb drive size. (say THAT three times fast)

I am trying to get started with the most bang for the buck and then starting investing in some of the big boy tools later on.
Nothing wrong with that, for sure. Especially since that is what you already know. I will say, though, that once you dive in to getting spindle and tool probes, you'll wonder how you ever survived with out one. Especially if you're even semi-familiar with macros, you can do some pretty cool stuff with them, and it really doesn't take long to program so using probes for short run orders is, by no means, out of the question.

I had dismissed the probe & 4th axis for the time being because they are handy but I can get by for now without them.

If you are buying these two:

Macros
Rotation & Scaling

You have most of the probe package paid for anyway.

Yes, you can get by without them but they will pay for themselves pretty quick unless you are doing 1000 piece production runs.

Hey Bud,

I have a Haas TM-1P and this is what worked for me:

*3/4Hp Coolant pump.
I cannot express how glad I am to have had this upgrade. Since my Haas came with an encloseure, blasting coolant was fine and it helps out a lot.

*Rigid Tap
Mine did come with the rigid tap option but I hardly ever use it. I decided to spend my money using thread mills. I may spend more money on them but threads come out much much nicer than rigit tapping them. If your CAM software does not support rigit tap then buy the rigid tap upgrade.

*Custom made coolant tank
I have a custom made coolant tank since the 5-gallon coolant pump was a real joke. If you'll use a 3/4Hp pump then you'll surely use a bigger tank

*Memory upgrade / USB option
I do lots of 3D parts and I like keepng them in the Haas memory. I used to do DNC all the time and after a while I had problems with the computer not communicating well with the machine. I believe I paid arround $900 for the 16 Mb upgrade but it was well worth the money. There is also a USB option in which you can load more programs in your haas, however if you're not doing any 3D work then forget this option.

*Tool Changer
This is one of the "must have" for all CNC machines in this category. If you can get the 20-tool carrousel then that's even better.

I'd like to get a Renishaw probe system as well, 4th axis wiring, etc. but for what I make I'm fine with this. I did get 4 Kurt vises and plenty of ER16 collet tool holders, boring heads, chucks, etc. Spread your money arround and get the best of the things you really need. I hope this helps.

*Rigid Tap
Mine did come with the rigid tap option but I hardly ever use it. I decided to spend my money using thread mills. I may spend more money on them but threads come out much much nicer than rigit tapping them. If your CAM software does not support rigit tap then buy the rigid tap upgrade.
which you can load more programs in your haas, however if you're not doing any 3D work then forget this option.

Do not pass up Rigid Tap!!!!! Try thread milling that 1/4-20 for me. :)

*Rigid Tap
which you can load more programs in your haas, however if you're not doing any 3D work then forget this option.

Do not pass up Rigid Tap!!!!! Try thread milling that 1/4-20 for me. :)

I threadmill 1/4-20's all the time.
6-32, 8-32, 10-32...
User has more control with threadmills than with standard taps. It also gives you the advantage to have threads as deep as the drill can go (minus the drill point angle obviously). Curently I'm making some embelms as a hobby and I am threadmilling all embelms. I just pointed out this option as if I would've tried threadmilling before, I wouldn't have spend my money on rigit tap option. That's what works for ME, not everyone machines the same but after threadmilling I'm not looking back to rigid tap. Threadmilling has it's limits as well and I'm not saying that's the way everythign should be tapped.

20 tool change
-nothing like running a job and running out of places for tools

rigid tap
-sure you can threadmill, but i can form tap 3x faster

pcool
-once you go pcool, you never go back

probe if you can (includes macros etc)
-makes life so much easier

I would say 20 station. I have 10 on my TM2 constantly running out of tools spots. I think the programable coolant would be good although I have no experience with it.

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I've been lurking letting the thread go on. The local Haas rep was supposed to send me a generic quote and some other info but I haven't seen it yet.

I am planning on running my own product and maybe picking up some short-run jobbing work. I know the tool room mill isn't meant for production but it's a situation where there a lot of other things I can be doing while it is chugging away.

Back