What's new
What's new

VF-3B Z-Axis drive Brake problem

Cobra101

Plastic
My Z-axis will drift down to far about .045 when this happens it alarms out.
Has anyone had a problem with the electro magnetic brake in the Z-axis brushless motor.

so far i checked out the Z cable,shorts in the motor,all the voltages, i swaped
servo amps.nothing was bad so now thinking about a brake problem.

The brake may be the nitrogen charged type that may just need charging. Happens all the time to those...well - it happens enough of the time:smoking:

otherwise google "haas z axis brake" or similar - you'll get a lot of "check this" info.

My Z-axis will drift down to far about .045 when this happens it alarms out.
Has anyone had a problem with the electro magnetic brake in the Z-axis brushless motor.

so far i checked out the Z cable,shorts in the motor,all the voltages, i swaped
servo amps.nothing was bad so now thinking about a brake problem.

A better description of the problem will be helpful.

The spindel will drop during a cut or at the end of a Z- comand. IT will do this
2-3 times per day. it can happens with all difrent types of tooling and we have to scrap the part it was cuting. every time it will move about .040 then
give me a 163 alarm.

The z axis brake is only energized when power is removed from the motor. Meaning anytime the servo's are on, the brake is released. Press E-Stop or turn the machine off, the brake is on.

That said, check your backlash for the z-axis and see what you get. Sounds like something mechanical is loose.

Once it moves the .04", does it stay there? Does it go back to the original value or somewhere in between?

According to HAAS tech support the brake engages every time Z-Axis stops
and disengages at the next Z-comand. tech suport thinks the brake is going bad.

If it was a .040 to .060 backlash problem it wouldent be intermittent. (between twice a day to once a week)

According to HAAS tech support the brake engages every time Z-Axis stops
and disengages at the next Z-comand. tech suport thinks the brake is going bad.

If it was a .040 to .060 backlash problem it wouldent be intermittent. (between twice a day to once a week)

Then I guess you have your answer.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

To me, that is not a satisfactory answer to the problem. The axis should hold when commanded to hold. You might need to do a very slow Z ramp sometime, and what is the axis going to do, slump down while cutting because the brake is released?

Is the Z axis servo running at 200% load most of the time?

Haas Factory Support

Please provide the serial number for this machine to properly diagnose the problem.

According to HAAS tech support the brake engages every time Z-Axis stops and disengages at the next Z-comand. tech suport thinks the brake is going bad.

The Z-axis brake does not behave in this manner. Servo on = Brake off

Backlash/Loose bolts/Bad coupler could all be the problem and have presented themselves intermittently.

Once it moves the .04", does it stay there? Does it go back to the original value or somewhere in between?

What is your answer to this question?

Back