What's new
What's new

Accu-systems DS1 Dowel inserter Q's

Posted a version of this last April and got no responses. Maybe more luck with a wood specific forum?

Got an Accu-systems DS1 dowel inserter last spring at a local auction. It has the optional glue metering attachment and a few spare heads, though they all look the same size. Seems to have been in use without the "nozzle fingers". PO may have been using it only to spray glue, so I will need to verify it is all working. Or maybe it was last used to do the second hole parts? It does seem to be complete & "reasonably" well maintained.

Questions: 1.) I cannot see where Accu-systems supports this anymore, at least on their website. Is there a spare parts source?
2.) what is the function of the "nozzle fingers"? Manual indicates they are sized per dowel size, and L & H. One (only) was included in spare parts pack with machine, does not look handed if I had to make it. How is size determined?
3.) what size nosepiece ("nozzle assembly") would shoot 8mm dowels; IOW what would be the actual hole size in the nozzle?
4.) reccomendations for glue? (I know it must be dowel machine specific glue, but is one brand/type better?
5.) other advice?

Basically the machine will sort dowels and go through the cycle, snapping one into the hose. But once in the hose, nothing much else happens. They are not ejected from the gun with any force at all. The hose is straight, smooth, kink free, see through, no jams, except after a few trigger cycles they pile up loosely in the hose and gun without going further.

I "think" the nozzle is too big, probably last used with 1/2" dowels. I need to shoot 8mm.

Is the hose by any chance supposed to be sized to the dowel too? (smaller for smaller dia dowels?)

Parts source would be convenient to find. Alternative, I could certainly make the parts...if someone can give a good description or plans of how they are sized to a given size dowel

Thanks!
smt

Well it seems I finally got their attention.
Noted by email to Accu-Systems that this was the "2nd or 3rd try"; & also that their dealer Hermance had failed to follow up on a phone call despite assurance otherwise.

Got an updated manual (about 2 or 3 x as many pages as what came with the machine) to study and an invitation to contact them with the part numbers.

So things are looking up... (so to speak :) )

smt

Bump-

Re-cap: Primary Question is, what parts need to be changed in the gun itself and possibly the singulator to shoot 8mm dowels with a gun that was set up for something bigger (probably 10mm or 7/16")

Things do happen slowly around here! Got the machine and then went back to "other type woodwork, non- cabinet or box related"

Anyone new here that has or had one of these machines?

Accu-Systems will see if they have the parts, if I tell them the part numbers. But they don't really seem to have anyone interested in researching the "old" (10 yrs?) guns.

I can actually make all of the parts....If I knew which ones to replace. can even guess/proportion the parts. But if anyone had one to measure, it would be useful.

Right now I'd like to know what size the strike/bolt/hammer (hardened rod) is for 8mm. Or, what the clearance should be between it and the nozzle, and the hole in the "gun dowel slide block"

smt, ever hopeful....:)

I have an Ayen gun that is prob close to the same. And I got it at auction too. I never used it though. It would shoot 8mm dowels but I never put glue in the system. You really had to secure the part to prevent the gun from kicking it away. And if it did kick, the dowel would not be inserted to the correct depth. With glue on it. Case clamp would not like that.
I'll try to get pics later next week. Regular glue will not work because it is too thick and will not disperse when the dowel gets fired in. Pressure will split the work piece. Try Dorus DD 060. I get it from Baer/Worth supply.

About 6 years ago I bought a Gannomatt Index Trend CNC dowel drill and inserter. Kicks butt.

Scruffy-

sounds like you prefer glue to pre-glued dowels?

I'm not going to get 5 gal of dowel glue until it is clear the gun and all works. It should. Everything cycles.
I think the "gun dowel slide block" was not retracting completely, so the dowel that got sent down the pipe would not fully enter to get shuttled up into the firing chamber.

But realizing I want to shoot 8mm dowels, I have to change everything that might relate.
The "G-D slide block" :) can be sleeved down, as can the nozzle.
But that got me looking at the strike, which is just under 8mm. Since there is about .020 total clearance between a dowel and the nozzle for the 10mm dowels, if the nozzle were sleeved with that much clearance to a 8mm dowel, that would be about the total clearance between the strike and the nozzle. I wonder if that is enough or if they used a smaller strike for 8mm. Especially concerned that the strike not strike the G-D slide block.

There's also a brass tube to feed into the GD slide block, so wondering if that should be smaller, as well.

smt

Yes, I prefer glue over pre glued dowels. Bad enough that dowel glue is very thin, but it is not as thin as water. I also use a Gannomat glue gun for the assembly part. It is set to the correct dose for the dowel hole. Pull the trigger and the shot comes out. The Dorus glue ships in 2 gal jugs. You can also shoot dry dowels into holes with a glue capsule inserted into the hole. Capsule crushes and the glue comes out. Don't really know your gun(or mine for that matter) but they most likely need to be set for the dowel length as well as diameter.

Back